Old 06-07-2004, 07:02 AM
ooha

Default inexpensive sources of high nitrogen

What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for high
nitrogen application?

Old 06-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

ooha wrote:
What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for high
nitrogen application?

Pee.

Human urine contains lots of urea, a good nitrogen source. And the price
is right.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
Cicero

Old 06-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Registered User

Location: West Wales

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo L. Love
ooha wrote:
What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for high
nitrogen application?

Pee.

Human urine contains lots of urea, a good nitrogen source. And the price
is right.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Cicero
I use a bale of straw in a corner of an unused shed. Anybody wishing to relieve themselves while in the garden is free to do so. After about 3 months I get a wonderful rich brown composed ready for garden use. Obviously easier for men than women!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Laser6328

Hair.

It takes a while to compost in the pile but it is a god source. I collect a
bucketfull a week from a local barber. I would avoid the hairdressing salons
because of the chemicals.

Ed
Old 06-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Richard Cline

In article , "ooha"
wrote:

Just get urea. It is 40-0-0. That is almost all nitrogen. You do not
pay for the other, frequently non-essential, items.

Dick

Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 AM
simy1

"ooha" wrote in message . ..
What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for high
nitrogen application?

I of course have used urea (46-0-0) in the past but another good,
cheap source of nitrogen which is virtually free are green manures,
grass clippings (best mixed with brown), and another really "green"
(stinky) is when we go picking peas right around this time of year
(maybe next saturday). the shells of two bushels of peas (which we
freeze) go bad very quickly, and are nitrogen rich (smell really bad).
Currently in my developed garden (one that has been composted
regularly since 1997) my only sources are kitchen scraps, grass
clippings, horse manure and pea shells, applied about 2 inches every
second year.

also, lets not forget pulses crops, with peas and favas my favorite
ones. One crop injects enough nitrogen in the soil that no fertilizer
is needed for three years of normal veggie gardening. More if the pea
plant is chopped and thrown back in.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Kawika

Pee.

Human urine contains lots of urea, a good nitrogen source. And the price
is right.

don't forget to spread the pee around, not just in one place...too
much pee becomes a herbicide...
Old 07-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Laser6328

Another excellent source of HIGH nitrogen content is chicken manure. Look in
your yellow pages for a chicken of egg farm. Be carefull with it though. It
not only stinks like ---- but it will also burn your plants.

Ed
Old 07-07-2004, 10:03 PM
someone

ooha wrote in message
What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for high
nitrogen application?

Grow comfrey, then chop the leaves and compost them in water as a liquid
fertilizer. Smells like hell, though.

Comfrey flowers are great for attracting bees.

s.

Old 08-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Frank Miles

In article ,
someone wrote:

ooha wrote in message
.. .
What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for high
nitrogen application?

Grow comfrey, then chop the leaves and compost them in water as a liquid
fertilizer. Smells like hell, though.

Comfrey flowers are great for attracting bees.

IIRC comfrey is illegal in some places -- due to invasiveness.

-f
Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Jack1000

I was told to help kill slugs in my garden, mix 1 part ammonia with three
parts water, and spray around my plants where I saw the tiny baby slugs. Well,
in my back yard I now have 6 foot tomato plants. In my front yard they are half
the size. I guess Ammonia is a real good and cheap nitrogen source.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Jack1000

I'm not sure that ammonia is all that cheap in the quantities you would
purchase. Certainly, it is almost totally nitrogen. It is probably the
major fertilizer used comercially.

Dick

My supermarket sells ammonia for about $1.50 a gallon. I thought that was very
inexpensive.