Old 09-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Al Reid

Default tomatoes are red with green around the stem

"EV" wrote in message ...
Al Reid wrote:

Hi,

Currrently, one third of my tomatoes are red but they have an
unripened green circle three quarters of an inch around the stem.
I've never seen this before. Why is this and should I pick them now?

Thanks,
Ed

Pick one and taste it. If it tastes good pick more. If not, wait a few days and try again.

You are lucky. I don't even have a tomato that is even blushing. Great big plants, lots of green, but nothing even starting

ripen.

Same here. Great huge Brandywines, small green San Marzanos and Ultragirls. Even the Sweet Million are still green. I just lopped
off all their tops and cut out all the blooms ... all the ones without developing fruit of a certain minumum size. I'm in southern
Ontario and I figure there's only about 6 good weeks left in the season .. if we're lucky. I'm fearing an invasion of green
tomatoes.

Follow-up... I now have two, count them, TWO tomatoes that are turning pink. Yahoo!!!

--
Al
(Long time gardener but new to rec.gardens.edible)

Long time gardener and occasional visitor to rec.gardens.edible.

EV

Old 10-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Ed Stuart

O.K., what's "a fault"?

Ed

"Cindy" wrote in message news:nWDRc.225133$a24.21427@attbi_s03...
It's called "green shoulder" and is a fault.

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Ed Stuart said:

O.K., how do I, "maintain good foliage cover"?

Overly zealous pruning of staked tomatoes should be avoided.
If you *are* staking the tomatoes, prune them to two or three stems
rather than one single one. Keep an eagle eye out for pests --
especially hornworms. Limit loss of foliage to disease by good
mulching and watering practices (and maybe preventative treatment
if foliar diseases have been a chronic problem in the past).

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 10-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Cindy

"Ed Stuart" wrote in message
om...
O.K., what's "a fault"?

A "fault" is any flaw on/in a tomato that will disqualify it from
competition in a national tomato show!

Points will be deducted.

Cindy