Old 14-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Gail Futoran

Default wild butternut squash?

Growing out of my compost pile is what looks
like a butternut squash vine (growing over
the chainlink fence the compost pile is next to).
The squashes are the color and shape of
a butternut squash, but most are larger than
I see in the grocery store. One I just picked
is about 15" long, but one other still on the
vine is oval shaped. Most are the long type.

I haven't had any butternut squash in years so
it can't be from seeds I threw in the compost.
I suppose I can just eat a bit to see if it's
edible but thought I'd ask here in case I might
be poisoning myself! And isn't this the
wrong season for butternut squash?

Thanks for any help.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 16-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Dwayne

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
Growing out of my compost pile is what looks
like a butternut squash vine (growing over
the chainlink fence the compost pile is next to).
The squashes are the color and shape of
a butternut squash, but most are larger than
I see in the grocery store.

They will grow larger if fertalized right and I imagine your compost if what
it needs.

One I just picked
is about 15" long, but one other still on the
vine is oval shaped. Most are the long type.

They might have cross pollinated with something else. Squash do that a lot.

I haven't had any butternut squash in years so
it can't be from seeds I threw in the compost.
I suppose I can just eat a bit to see if it's
edible but thought I'd ask here in case I might
be poisoning myself! And isn't this the
wrong season for butternut squash?

No. I just would have left them on the vine until the stems havd gotten
hard and dried out. Try the one you picked, let the rest mature, and then
cure them before storage.

Dwayne

Thanks for any help.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 16-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Gail Futoran

"Dwayne" wrote in message
.. .

"Gail Futoran" wrote in

message

Old 16-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Gail Futoran

"Dwayne" wrote in message
.. .

"Gail Futoran" wrote in

message

Old 16-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Gail Futoran

"Dwayne" wrote
[snip]
No. I just would have left them on the vine until the

stems havd gotten
hard and dried out. Try the one you picked, let the rest

mature, and then
cure them before storage.

Dwayne

Thanks a lot, Dwayne. I'll give the one I
brought in a try and let the rest continue
growing.

Gail