Old 16-08-2004, 09:22 AM
BattleTroll

Default Grape seeds

I friend of mine gave me a bunch of grape (muskadine(sp)?) seeds, I have
tried on several occasions to get them to grow with no success, any ideas?

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly
American criminal class except Congress.

Old 16-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Stan Goodman

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:22:12 UTC, "BattleTroll"
opined:
I friend of mine gave me a bunch of grape (muskadine(sp)?) seeds, I have
tried on several occasions to get them to grow with no success, any ideas?

Troll? Grinch?

=;-)8

European grapes (Vitis Vinifera) are subject to a disease called phyloxera
(Greek for "dry-root"), so that the plants probably would not have survived,
even had they germinated. Cultivated grapes are either phyloxera-resistant
hybrids with American grapes (which are from a different genus) or are
grafted onto American rootstock.

If you want to grow grapes, you can buy either of the above solutions, and
plant two-year old plants, which will yield fruit much faster, and (more
importantly) will survive.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Old 17-08-2004, 04:18 AM
BattleTroll

I have a plant already growing in my yard, can I grow from a cutting? Any
help on how to do this?

Old 17-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Stan Goodman

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:18:54 UTC, "BattleTroll"
opined:
I have a plant already growing in my yard, can I grow from a cutting? Any
help on how to do this?

You still need to graft the cutting onto a suitable rootstock.

Do a Google search on "viticulture" and another on "viniculture", and get
lots of good and accurate advice.

Old 19-08-2004, 03:19 AM
BattleTroll

Thanks I did a google search and found out that the seeds need to be
refrigerated of all things! Apparently they need about 3 months of cold to
trick them into thinking winter is over. So now my seeds are in the fridge
and will post an update on this in the spring.