Old 11-08-2004, 06:20 PM
nutNhoney

Default When to pick acorn squash?

I have 2 that look ready for picking. They are a little smaller than
average but the weather hasn't been the greatest. How do I know when to
pick them?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Dwayne

Pick one now and eat it if that is what you want to do. If you want to
store them, you will have to wait until the stem dries out completely,
harvest them with 2 to 8 inches of stem left on them (don't use the stems as
handles). Then lay them on the back porch in the sun for 10 days to cure
( learned this trick from Len in Queensland), and then lay them in the
coolest room of the house. I was still eating squash from the 2002 harvest,
in early 2004.

Dwayne

Old 19-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Guy Bradley

"nutNhoney" wrote in message
I have 2 that look ready for picking. They are a little smaller

than
average but the weather hasn't been the greatest. How do I know

when to
pick them?

Pick when the stem separates from the squash when given a push. Don't
push too hard, though. Stems will generally be dry at this point.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6

Old 19-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Guy Bradley

"nutNhoney" wrote in message
I have 2 that look ready for picking. They are a little smaller

than
average but the weather hasn't been the greatest. How do I know

when to
pick them?

Pick when the stem separates from the squash when given a push. Don't
push too hard, though. Stems will generally be dry at this point.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6

Acorn Squash-when to pick Dave_S Gardening 5 22-07-2009 08:13 AM
Compact Acorn Squash Bill Litchfield Edible Gardening 3 17-09-2004 04:43 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 6 31-07-2004 06:29 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 0 27-07-2004 01:57 PM
oak acorn bread Human civilization is based on the staple acorn! Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM