GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can Citrus be cloned? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/81981-can-citrus-cloned.html)

Rod 16-08-2004 08:21 AM

Can Citrus be cloned?

I have come across a wonderful tasting orange and would like to have a
go at taking a cutting of this. Does anyone know if this is possible
or recommended, if so maybe some links to "best practices" when it
come to cloning citrus.
TIA
Rod

bob123 29-09-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod (Post 449262)
I have come across a wonderful tasting orange and would like to have a
go at taking a cutting of this. Does anyone know if this is possible
or recommended, if so maybe some links to "best practices" when it
come to cloning citrus.
TIA
Rod

cloning a citrus tree is hard to do. I would recommend buying another citrus tree.

danny22 11-10-2008 04:06 AM

I would disagree there. Citrus are easy to root in my opinion. I would use a rooting hormone but I know plenty who don't even bother with that - just stick it in soil, put a clear bag over it and wait 6-8 weeks. I'm not sure on the best method, but I know removing a lot of the leaves is the best idea, and I have read some who remove all of the leaves if the cutting is from newer growth.