Old 29-09-2004, 03:38 PM
simy1

Default some questions about rock fertilization

1) would you put furnace slag in your garden? if you google "slag
chremical composition" the first hit is from our own group and there
are sites linked from there that support the idea of using slag as a
source of micronutrients, specifically Mg, Mn, Fe, and S (there is
also lots of Ca and some K, but given that I already spread wood ash,
those are unneeded)

2) what is the cheapest source of P, per pound of P?

Old 30-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Pat Kiewicz

simy1 said:

1) would you put furnace slag in your garden? if you google "slag
chremical composition" the first hit is from our own group and there
are sites linked from there that support the idea of using slag as a
source of micronutrients, specifically Mg, Mn, Fe, and S (there is
also lots of Ca and some K, but given that I already spread wood ash,
those are unneeded)

Some people would worry about heavy metals. Here's something from Penn State:

"Some slags may contain elevated concentrations of trace metals such as iron,
cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, molybdenum, nickel, and zinc. Concentrations
of these metals will vary in slags from different sources. All of these metals occur
naturally in soil, and many are essential plant nutrients. If concentrations in the
slag are similar to soil concentrations, they present no problem. If they are present
at substantially higher concentrations in the slag than in the soil, repeated
application of the slag could significantly increase soil concentrations of the metal
in soil. This possibly could lead to plant toxicity, increased plant uptake and transfer
of metals to animals or humans, or to other environmental problems. Before using
a slag, be sure to obtain several laboratory analyses of the total concentrations of
these trace metals in the slag."

http://agguide.agronomy.psu.edu/CM/Sec9/sec96.htm

2) what is the cheapest source of P, per pound of P?

Cheapest?

Probably concentrated superphosphate (AKA triple superphosphate or triple
phosphate). This concentrated of P2O5 derived from rock phosphate, 0-46-0.
Not organically certified.

Ground rock phosphate would be 'organic' in that it is a natural source. It is
very slowly available (best in slightly acid soils with good organic matter
content). But it is bulky and expensive to ship around. Contains maybe 20%
P (varies by source) but only 4% available P (so it's rated 0-4-0)

You can buy 5 pounds of triple (0-46-0) for $4.95 and 10 pounds of rock phosphate
(0-4-0, *very* long run 0-20-0) for $6.25, using some web prices (and not including
shipping, which can be by weight on bulky items).

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 30-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:57:23 GMT, Bill wrote:

2) what is the cheapest source of P, per pound of P?

Beer?

spurf!

You owe me a new keyboard, young man.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

Old 30-09-2004, 03:13 PM
simy1

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message ...
simy1 said:

[...]

I worked briefly in the past for a mining company, and chemical
composition of the rock was an issue. I was amazed at the difference
in heavy metals concentration between iron ore and granite rock. Iron
ore typically has 100 times less lead, mercury, or uranium than
granite. It is a very pure rock, as far as toxic stuff is concerned.

I understand that if the foundry is used to smelt lead all bets are
off, and of course I had not thought of Cd and was originally worried
about Al (the other elements will not be a problem for a light
application). On the other hand, anyone eating local foods in red clay
tropical areas intake far more aluminum than I would intake. In a
Michigan acid sandy soil, my guess is that slag mainly serves a
purpose of providing Mg and perhaps Ca.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:15 AM
Bill

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:57:23 GMT, Bill wrote:

2) what is the cheapest source of P, per pound of P?

Beer?

spurf!

You owe me a new keyboard, young man.

Penelope

LOL, glad you got a laugh out of it! G

Bill
Old 01-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Pat Kiewicz

simy1 said:

I worked briefly in the past for a mining company, and chemical
composition of the rock was an issue. I was amazed at the difference
in heavy metals concentration between iron ore and granite rock. Iron
ore typically has 100 times less lead, mercury, or uranium than
granite. It is a very pure rock, as far as toxic stuff is concerned.

I understand that if the foundry is used to smelt lead all bets are
off, and of course I had not thought of Cd and was originally worried
about Al (the other elements will not be a problem for a light
application). On the other hand, anyone eating local foods in red clay
tropical areas intake far more aluminum than I would intake. In a
Michigan acid sandy soil, my guess is that slag mainly serves a
purpose of providing Mg and perhaps Ca.

Dolomitic limestone will provide Mg and Ca, but no other trace minerals.

Langbienite is a mineral which will provide Mg and K. This naturally
occurring mineral is the source for 'Sul-Po-Mag' also sold as 'K-Mag'
(sulfate of potash magnesia). It is 22% K and 22% Mg by weight.

Kelp is the gold standard for trace mineral composition. The most cost
effective way of buying it and applying IMO is Maxicrop powder mixed
into foliar sprays. Kelp meal is expensive, but when we were a little
more flush (cash-wise) I bought and used it when planting corn. The
effects seemed obvious. The seed germinated more quickly and grew
more robustly. I wish it were more *affordable* to as a soil amendment!

(attributed to Don Marti)