Old 03-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Greg Webster

Default Plant-and-forget trees

Hi all,

We have own a plot of land in growing areas 3/4 (Quesnel, BC) with silty
soil that is mostly growing Dounglas Fir and Aspens.

Eventually we'd like to build a house there, but I wonder if there are
trees we can mostly plant-and-forget that will survive on their own and
give us something edible eventually.

It may have to survive the ravages of deer and bear however.

Is there anything that might be workable?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 03-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Greg Webster said:

Hi all,

We have own a plot of land in growing areas 3/4 (Quesnel, BC) with silty
soil that is mostly growing Dounglas Fir and Aspens.

Eventually we'd like to build a house there, but I wonder if there are
trees we can mostly plant-and-forget that will survive on their own and
give us something edible eventually.

It may have to survive the ravages of deer and bear however.

Is there anything that might be workable?

Deer will browse almost anything I could suggest. Probably anything you
plant should be surrounded by chicken wire until it gets big.

Some suggestions more of a large shrubs than trees.

About the first thing that comes to my mind right now would be serviceberries.
But the birds will mob them. These are genus Amelanchier. Also called
juneberries and saskatoons. They can be nice to eat, if the birds let any get
ripe. These are on a list of woody plants 'occasionally damaged' by deer.

You might also consider elderberries. These might also be browsed by
deer.

All the tree fruits (apples, cherries, plums and such) are listed as 'fequently
browsed' by deer.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Jon Shemitz

Greg Webster wrote:

Eventually we'd like to build a house there, but I wonder if there are
trees we can mostly plant-and-forget that will survive on their own and
give us something edible eventually.

It may have to survive the ravages of deer and bear however.

I'd lean towards nut trees instead of fruit trees - any sweet fruit is
going to be very appealing to bears.

--

programmer, author http://www.midnightbeach.com
and father http://www.midnightbeach.com/hs