GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cooking Okra (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/87705-cooking-okra.html)

curious 15-12-2004 03:25 PM

Cooking Okra

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

Katra 15-12-2004 06:05 PM

In article 0IYvd.574979$D%.252040@attbi_s51, curious
wrote:

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

I love Okra too! :-)

Either way works..... I often just steam them whole and bite them off of
the head as I eat them.

I'll also sometimes remove the head, and add them sliced to stir fry's
or soups.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

simy1 15-12-2004 06:14 PM

curious wrote:
The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't

get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

probably you are getting old and your body is telling you okra is a
very nutritious veggie, more than most other veggies. as the other
poster says, steam them whole, fry them sliced. they also go sliced in
soups.

TQ 15-12-2004 09:44 PM

"curious" wrote in message
The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

Okra are very good when eaten raw, too. Not as slimey and a nice crunch.
--
TQ

Bob Mounger 16-12-2004 01:41 PM

TQ wrote:
"curious" wrote in message

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

Okra are very good when eaten raw, too. Not as slimey and a nice crunch.
--
TQ

Especially if you dip them in something like hummus...

Bob

Katra 16-12-2004 10:25 PM

In article , Bob Mounger
wrote:

TQ wrote:
"curious" wrote in message

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

Okra are very good when eaten raw, too. Not as slimey and a nice crunch.
--
TQ

Especially if you dip them in something like hummus...

Bob

Or Ranch Dressing... ;-)
--
K.

curious 17-12-2004 02:24 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll head to the store now....

Like I said, I'm on an okra binge.

curious 17-12-2004 02:24 PM

Bubba 22-12-2004 10:07 AM

curious wrote:

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

How very odd....I was about the same age when my "okra taste bud"
blossomed. I usually snip off the stem but leave the head intact. I
like 'em about any way you can fix 'em, but my favorite is probably
sprayed with a bit of olive oil, S&P, and then grilled.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Frogleg 25-12-2004 11:37 AM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:25:48 GMT, curious wrote:

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Slice off top, then slice pods into 1/4" discs. Roll around in
seasoned cornmeal to coat, and saute in a little oil 'til crispy. They
can also be sliced thicker (1/2 "), then dipped in batter and
deep-fried. Or battered and fried whole. Harvest pods when they are
small -- 4 inches max -- as they get a bit woody when they grow
larger.