Old 15-12-2004, 03:25 PM
curious

Default Cooking Okra

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks
Old 15-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Katra

In article 0IYvd.574979$D%.252040@attbi_s51, curious
wrote:

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

I love Okra too! :-)

Either way works..... I often just steam them whole and bite them off of
the head as I eat them.

I'll also sometimes remove the head, and add them sliced to stir fry's
or soups.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 15-12-2004, 06:14 PM
simy1

curious wrote:
The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't

get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

probably you are getting old and your body is telling you okra is a
very nutritious veggie, more than most other veggies. as the other
poster says, steam them whole, fry them sliced. they also go sliced in
soups.

Old 15-12-2004, 09:44 PM
TQ

"curious" wrote in message
The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

Okra are very good when eaten raw, too. Not as slimey and a nice crunch.
--
TQ

Old 16-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Bob Mounger

TQ wrote:
"curious" wrote in message

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

Okra are very good when eaten raw, too. Not as slimey and a nice crunch.
--
TQ

Especially if you dip them in something like hummus...

Bob
Old 16-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Katra

In article , Bob Mounger
wrote:

TQ wrote:
"curious" wrote in message

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

Okra are very good when eaten raw, too. Not as slimey and a nice crunch.
--
TQ

Especially if you dip them in something like hummus...

Bob

Or Ranch Dressing... ;-)
--
K.

Old 17-12-2004, 02:24 PM
curious

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll head to the store now....

Like I said, I'm on an okra binge.
Old 17-12-2004, 02:24 PM
curious

Old 22-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Bubba

curious wrote:

The first 41 years of my life I hated okra, all of a sudden I can't get
enough of the stuff.

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Thanks

How very odd....I was about the same age when my "okra taste bud"
blossomed. I usually snip off the stem but leave the head intact. I
like 'em about any way you can fix 'em, but my favorite is probably
sprayed with a bit of olive oil, S&P, and then grilled.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Old 25-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:25:48 GMT, curious wrote:

So, I have a very basic question about cooking it. Do I cut off the
head of the pod before cooking? If not, do you eat it or cut it off
after cooking?

Slice off top, then slice pods into 1/4" discs. Roll around in
seasoned cornmeal to coat, and saute in a little oil 'til crispy. They
can also be sliced thicker (1/2 "), then dipped in batter and
deep-fried. Or battered and fried whole. Harvest pods when they are
small -- 4 inches max -- as they get a bit woody when they grow
larger.

Cooking Okra curious Edible Gardening 0 15-12-2004 03:25 PM
Okra harvest/seeds Lisa J Gehl Edible Gardening 3 04-11-2003 06:02 PM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 3 16-03-2003 09:32 PM
snake gourd and chinese okra seeds kn125 Texas 0 09-03-2003 01:39 AM