GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anybody here grow medlars? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/87784-anybody-here-grow-medlars.html)

Auntie Em 17-12-2004 09:52 AM

Anybody here grow medlars?

I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody?

Em
Be careful what you wish for....

David Hare-Scott 20-12-2004 07:28 AM

"Auntie Em" wrote in message
: I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody?
:
: Em

Yes.

We planted ours last year and it is doing well, with about a dozen fruit on
it. Being the first crop I cannot tell you what they are like from
experience, maybe if you ask again in March (maybe April not sure) I can
say.

From reading, they are like a pungent, spicy apple. To some an acquired
taste, to others a delicacy. They must be very ripe (preferably on the
tree) before being consumed. This process is called bleting. I have always
wanted to blet my medlars!

David

Auntie Em 21-12-2004 05:57 AM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:28:57 GMT, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"Auntie Em" wrote in message
.. .
: I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody?
:
: Em

Yes.

We planted ours last year and it is doing well, with about a dozen fruit on
it. Being the first crop I cannot tell you what they are like from
experience, maybe if you ask again in March (maybe April not sure) I can
say.

From reading, they are like a pungent, spicy apple. To some an acquired
taste, to others a delicacy. They must be very ripe (preferably on the
tree) before being consumed. This process is called bleting. I have always
wanted to blet my medlars!

David

Very cool! We are planting a small orchard and I definitely want to
put a couple of trees in. Thanks for the input, I'll check back in
March or maybe April to see how they taste.

Em
-----
When in trouble or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout.

Rustic 08-01-2005 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em
I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody?

Have just seen your query while looking for recipes. I posted my order todayto J. Tweedie Fruit Trees , Maryfield Road Nurseries near Terregles,Dumfries DG2 9TH. Medlars are listed in his fascinating price list.