Old 17-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Auntie Em

Default Anybody here grow medlars?

I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody?

Em
Be careful what you wish for....
Old 20-12-2004, 07:28 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Auntie Em" wrote in message
: I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody?
:
: Em

Yes.

We planted ours last year and it is doing well, with about a dozen fruit on
it. Being the first crop I cannot tell you what they are like from
experience, maybe if you ask again in March (maybe April not sure) I can
say.

From reading, they are like a pungent, spicy apple. To some an acquired
taste, to others a delicacy. They must be very ripe (preferably on the
tree) before being consumed. This process is called bleting. I have always
wanted to blet my medlars!

David

Old 21-12-2004, 05:57 AM
Auntie Em

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:28:57 GMT, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"Auntie Em" wrote in message
.. .
: I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody?
:
: Em

Yes.

We planted ours last year and it is doing well, with about a dozen fruit on
it. Being the first crop I cannot tell you what they are like from
experience, maybe if you ask again in March (maybe April not sure) I can
say.

From reading, they are like a pungent, spicy apple. To some an acquired
taste, to others a delicacy. They must be very ripe (preferably on the
tree) before being consumed. This process is called bleting. I have always
wanted to blet my medlars!

David

Very cool! We are planting a small orchard and I definitely want to
put a couple of trees in. Thanks for the input, I'll check back in
March or maybe April to see how they taste.

Em
-----
When in trouble or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em
I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody?
Have just seen your query while looking for recipes. I posted my order todayto J. Tweedie Fruit Trees , Maryfield Road Nurseries near Terregles,Dumfries DG2 9TH. Medlars are listed in his fascinating price list.

Smallholding. Does anybody here buy from them? Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 0 02-06-2013 03:40 PM
medlars Spooooool United Kingdom 5 24-09-2008 11:22 PM
Anybody here grow medlars? Auntie Em Edible Gardening 0 17-12-2004 09:52 AM
Quinces and Medlars David Hare-Scott Edible Gardening 2 20-08-2003 08:02 PM