Old 29-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Bill Moats

Default New Tomato

Last year at Whole Foods in Portland, OR I saw an attractive tomato that was
selling for $3.99/lb. It was orange and red striped and looked to be a pound
or so. I had no idea what variety it was.

Having received my new Tomato Growers Supply catalog, I looked at the page
of new items and there was the tomato or at least something very close. It's
called Copia and is named after some food and wine thing in Napa. I think
I'll give it a try.

P.S. My brother in Honolulu saw Green Zebras going for $9.30/lb!!

Bill Moats
Pau Hana Farm
Milton-Freewater, Oregon

Old 30-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Bill Moats" wrote:

Last year at Whole Foods in Portland, OR I saw an attractive tomato that was
selling for $3.99/lb. It was orange and red striped and looked to be a pound
or so. I had no idea what variety it was.

Having received my new Tomato Growers Supply catalog, I looked at the page
of new items and there was the tomato or at least something very close. It's
called Copia and is named after some food and wine thing in Napa. I think
I'll give it a try.

P.S. My brother in Honolulu saw Green Zebras going for $9.30/lb!!

Bill Moats
Pau Hana Farm
Milton-Freewater, Oregon

I'll have to look for that one. It's fun to try new varities each year.
One bi-colored favorite for us is Pineapple. You can see lots of
bi-colored varities at
http://www.tomatofest.com/tomato_seeds_search.html

Go to the "search the tomato varities we have for sale" section and
pull down the menu to the bi-colored option, they have over 30 with
pretty good pictures.

Do you think anyone actually will pay $9.30/lb for tomatoes? Wow!

marcella
Old 31-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Someone

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:
In article ,
"Bill Moats" wrote:

[...]

do they taste that much better than the run-of-the-mill red ones or is
the appearance? i like the japanese tomatoes they sell at the farmers'
market in town. they are very sweet and have a low acid content. i
wonder what the lowest acid content would be...