Old 27-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Tomato Fruit Size

Hi Everybody,

This season for me involves "Monymaker" type/breed
tomatoes. And, here in the southern hemisphere, we are
just approaching autumn. I have many green fruits, and
have eaten a few (small) ripe ones.

So, I am wondering...

When is the ultimate/maximum size shown for the fruits
on this variety?

For example, when they change colour, have they already
reached their maximum size? Is the growth only going
on when they are green?

Or would they continue to grow in size, if I left them
on the plant after the colour change?

And how does this relate to a variety being Determinate
or Indeterminate?

Thanks... (Bite, Yum!)

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 05-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodean Bucket Farmer
Hi Everybody,

This season for me involves "Monymaker" type/breed
tomatoes. And, here in the southern hemisphere, we are
just approaching autumn. I have many green fruits, and
have eaten a few (small) ripe ones.

So, I am wondering...

When is the ultimate/maximum size shown for the fruits
on this variety?

For example, when they change colour, have they already reached their maximum size? Is the growth only going on when they are green?

Or would they continue to grow in size, if I left them
on the plant after the colour change?

And how does this relate to a variety being Determinate
or Indeterminate?

Thanks... (Bite, Yum!)

Hi Antipodean Bucket Farmer,

When the tomatoes turn red they have reached their maximum size. If you leave them on the vine too long they will begin to over ripen and rot. If you will be shipping them, pick them as soon as they turn red. Tomatoes will continue to ripen off the vine.

From this site:
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/acatal...msmallmed.html
" Indeterminate: grow as a cordon and use a stake to provide support for the plants. Remove the lateral (side) stems to encourage the growth of one single fruiting stem.

Determinate: these varieties grow as a bush and do not require pinching out or supporting. You may wish to place some straw or other material beneath any fruits that touch the ground.

Semi-determinate: these varieties are in-between and should be grown as a bush with some support."

Moneymaker is indeterminate so the plant will keep growing in height if you keep picking.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.