GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Do I have to let seeds dry before planting them? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/90517-do-i-have-let-seeds-dry-before-planting-them.html)

samuel 05-03-2005 06:40 PM

Do I have to let seeds dry before planting them?

I got some seeds out of some jalapenos and am trying to get them to
germinate. It's taking longer than I excepted and I was wondering if it
matters whether or not you dry the seeds out first.

urbanChiles 05-03-2005 08:04 PM

Samuel,
Put them out on a plate and let them air dry for a couple of days.
I've also written an article on germinating chile seeds. Its up on my
website at:

http://www.urbanchiles.com/growing/022805.html

Hope it helps,
Scott

GA Pinhead 05-03-2005 11:54 PM

Were they ripe japs? You may have immature seeds as well.

John!

nina 13-03-2005 06:23 PM

samuel wrote:
I got some seeds out of some jalapenos and am trying to get them to
germinate. It's taking longer than I excepted and I was wondering if

it
matters whether or not you dry the seeds out first.

I have never been able to get my Aji Dulce (c.chinense) seeds to
germinate, either its too cold or dry or something. I finally had
success by taking the seeds from ripe peppers and sticking them in the
dirt fresh from the fruit.
nina