Old 09-03-2005, 03:35 AM
Norma Briggs

Default anyone used red plastic under in garden

I have read about using red plastic under tomato plants, I was thinking of
trying it just to see what happens.

Who has used it? Pros or Cons?

Thanks in advance!

Norma

Old 09-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Angela Dougherty

Hi Norma,

We've used red plastic the past two years and will use it again this
year. Two years ago we grew tom's in containers and last year in a
large planter box/raised bed. I don't know if it made a difference, but
we had great yields and very healthy plants here in Seattle. We have
long summer days but not as much heat as other areas. The plastic
helped with moisture loss so we didn't have to water as much, which gave
us good, firm fruits. I think it also helped with heat reflection &
retention. As far as the claims of the red reflecting the best light
spectrum, I'm no agricultural scientist, but I was very happy with the
plants' vigorous growth and high yields.

Angela

Old 09-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Brigitte

"Angela Dougherty" wrote in message
Hi Norma,

We've used red plastic the past two years and will use it again this
year. Two years ago we grew tom's in containers and last year in a
large planter box/raised bed. I don't know if it made a difference, but
we had great yields and very healthy plants here in Seattle. We have
long summer days but not as much heat as other areas. The plastic
helped with moisture loss so we didn't have to water as much, which gave
us good, firm fruits. I think it also helped with heat reflection &
retention. As far as the claims of the red reflecting the best light
spectrum, I'm no agricultural scientist, but I was very happy with the
plants' vigorous growth and high yields.

Angela

Hi Angela,
Is this a special kind of red plastic? Where can I purchase some?

I'm planning on doing some container gardening this year and will need help
with the water retention. Do you place this red plastic under the
container?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte