Old 01-04-2005, 11:38 PM
jetgraphics

Default Edible Seasonal Passive Sunshade

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:58 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Consider Malabar Spinach an annual. Grapes may be of interest also.
Mix in moon flowers and other flowering vines for interest...NOT Edible.

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/

Old 02-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Troy Lubbers

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Consider Malabar Spinach an annual. Grapes may be of interest also.
Mix in moon flowers and other flowering vines for interest...NOT Edible.

Bill

Kudzu is edible, vining, grows fast and I believe it does VERY well in
Zone 7.

April Fools.
But seriously I'm sure you know better than to plant Kudzu.

In addition to the above, Not quite edible, perhaps useful if you brew
your own beer though, is hops. You could train some indeterminate
tomatos, some pole beans, maybe a small melon or summer squash??
Lots of plants that are edible have a vining habit.

Troy
Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 AM
William Wagner

In article t,
Troy Lubbers wrote:

In addition to the above, Not quite edible, perhaps useful if you brew
your own beer though, is hops. You could train some indeterminate
tomatos, some pole beans, maybe a small melon or summer squash??
Lots of plants that are edible have a vining habit.

Troy

Hops is difficult to get rid of in a short period of time. Creeps
about in a manner similar to poison ivy. Runners..Cucumbers can be
trained to vine too.

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/
Tell folks where to get your files FREE at http://www.DropLoad.com
"oeuf tôt pique " Lover

Old 02-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Troy Lubbers

Frank White wrote:

Kudzu is edible, vining, grows fast and I believe it does VERY well in
Zone 7.

April Fools.
But seriously I'm sure you know better than to plant Kudzu.

If Kudzu WERE edible, world hungry would be a distant memory.
All the starving hordes in China could not eat those vines
as fast as they can regrow...

As it is, flamethrowers and nuclear weapons may be our only hope.

O_O

FW

Ah.. but Kudzu IS edible. It is a legume, and every part of the plant
can be eaten. I have never had it myself since I am from the non-Kudzu
blighted zone 4.

But you can eat the 'bean', the leaves, the root, and as I understand
it, in its native parts of Asia it actually is a desirable culinary plant.

Here is a page I found listing some 'recipes' for Kudzu. Perhaps this
summer if you're from the South you can reduce your grocery bill eh? My
Google search did turn up other pages with recipes, happy hunting.

http://www.kudzucuisine.com/

Troy
Old 03-04-2005, 04:18 AM
DrLith

"Troy Lubbers" wrote in message
k.net...
Ah.. but Kudzu IS edible. It is a legume, and every part of the plant
can be eaten. I have never had it myself since I am from the non-Kudzu
blighted zone 4.

But you can eat the 'bean', the leaves, the root, and as I understand
it, in its native parts of Asia it actually is a desirable culinary plant.

Here is a page I found listing some 'recipes' for Kudzu. Perhaps this
summer if you're from the South you can reduce your grocery bill eh? My
Google search did turn up other pages with recipes, happy hunting.

http://www.kudzucuisine.com/

Looking at the nutritional composition of the kudzu powder described on the
site, it appears to have an insane amount of fiber. Like, 5 times as much as
an equivalent amount (calorie-wise) of whole wheat flour or 3 times as much
as an equivalent amt. of pinto beans. So I imagine it's kind of "woody."

Old 02-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Katra

In article ,
(Frank White) wrote:

In article t,
says...

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

[...]

Kudzu IS edible!!! Seriously.
Do some googling on it.

It also makes fantastic graze for both cattle and sheep.

I've seen recent articles on great success in controlling kudzu using
sheep.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 03-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Rex Tincher

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:30:36 -0600, Katra
wrote:

snip
Kudzu IS edible!!! Seriously.
Do some googling on it.

It also makes fantastic graze for both cattle and sheep.

How to Grow Kudzu
http://www.locksley.com/kudzu.htm

I've seen recent articles on great success in controlling kudzu using
sheep.

Lots of sheep!

--
"A Springfield woman who began lobbying against gun violence after
her son was shot to death in 2002 was arrested last week when
Old 02-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Katra

In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Grapevines? :-)
The only problem with those is that they lose their leaves in the winter.

You could also try Passiflora edulis or Passiflora incarnata.
Those both produce edible fruits, and they tend to be evergreen.

My Passiflora cerulea stayed green all winter thru 4 or 5 good freezes.
I want to find some of the other two species and get them planted here
as well.

Plastic lattice as a trellis looks nice and is more durable than wood
lattice. It's more expensive but lasts forever, and it comes in colors!

Old 02-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Troy Lubbers

Katra wrote:
In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

[...]

From an energy conservation standpoint, losing the leaves in the fall
is a good thing. In the hot sunny weather the foliage shades the house.
In the cool winter weather with the foliage gone the sun warms the
building.

Troy
Old 02-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Katra

In article t,
Troy Lubbers wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

[...]

From an energy conservation standpoint, losing the leaves in the fall
is a good thing. In the hot sunny weather the foliage shades the house.
In the cool winter weather with the foliage gone the sun warms the
building.

Troy

I actually did think about that... :-)

It's just that I find my naked grapevines in the winter to be none too
attractive. lol I know my neighbor chopped out all of the ones that
had spread to the trees in his yard. I don't think he would have done
that if he knew that they were going to leaf out again. He probably
thought that they were dead. I'm letting them go up into the trees on
this side of the fence!

Besides, the blooms on passion vines are just gorgeous!!!

Here was my very first one ever that bloomed this year. I planted the
vine in a 5 gallon pot next to my greenhouse late last summer:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...ionFlower2.jpg

Old 02-04-2005, 10:41 AM
jetgraphics

Katra wrote:

Grapevines? :-)
The only problem with those is that they lose their leaves in the winter.

Losing leaves is a good thing. Lets in winter sunshine. The subject did
specify "seasonal passive sunshade".
Old 02-04-2005, 01:22 PM
David

Katra wrote:
In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

[...]

Any suggestions on how to get Passiflora edulis seeds to sprout. I
received a bunch as a gift last fall, so far I've tried pete tabs and
sowing them straight into potting soil in 4 inch pots. So far nary a
sprout is to be seen. Should I pre-soak the seeds? score them, soak them
in alcohol or peroxide?

Thanks in advance.
David