Old 03-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Rick

Default pollination + a small bet

Hello,
My buddy swears that a bell pepper, (or anything else) will
produce peppers without pollination and that the peppers will
only lack seeds and will otherwise be normal.
I say bologna. a little help if you please.

thanks,

rick keenan
charlotte nc USA

Old 03-05-2005, 03:31 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Rick" wrote:

Hello,
My buddy swears that a bell pepper, (or anything else) will
produce peppers without pollination and that the peppers will
only lack seeds and will otherwise be normal.
I say bologna. a little help if you please.

thanks,

rick keenan
charlotte nc USA

Only if treated with hormones to make it _think_ it was pollinated...

otherwise, only if it is a "seedless" variety.

At least AFAIK???
--
Om.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:19 AM
chris

Do you mean reproduce fruit without any type of pollination at all? I'm
not shure that would hapen in any type of natural enviroment...
I think that even small wind currents will help pollen travel. I think
that this is needed for fruit to set .. even if it were only from a
single plant . You could test this by isolating a branch with a
translucent bag . I think it has to be a special mesh size that keeps
the pollen isolated but still let light through . But even still the
branch would disperse pollen among the flowers in the bag . To test for
share u would have to isolate every flower. and see it fruit sets. I'm
almost certain that if you wanted no seeds in your peppers you would
have to pick them before the seeds were evident , and then use a
ethylene process to speed up the aging process.
Cheers
chris

Old 03-05-2005, 03:11 PM
RR

"Rick" wrote:

Hello,
My buddy swears that a bell pepper, (or anything else) will
produce peppers without pollination and that the peppers will
only lack seeds and will otherwise be normal.
I say bologna. a little help if you please.

thanks,

rick keenan
charlotte nc USA

AFAIK, there's only one thing that ever supposedly bore fruit
*without* pollination, and that was over 2000 years ago.
There is still a celebration of this event by the people who believe
it really happened. It's held on December 25th each year.

Ross.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Steve

Here's my experience.
I had a bell pepper plant that I kept in a pot for several years. When
it was out for the summer, it produces normal peppers. When I brought it
in for the winter, as spring approached, it would produce a few peppers
that were seedless, small, round rather than bell shaped and not as
flavorful as a pepper produced when outside.
That's from a single plant and I don't know if other varieties would do
the same of not.

Steve

Old 17-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Tony

I think your confused here or need to give more information regarding what
he meant. If you bag that flower it will still produce a fruit, infact one
with pure seed if it is an open pollenated type of pepper. Tomatoes, Peppers
and many other plants are self pollenating. They have perfect flowers,
meaning the mail and female are present already. They do not need bees or
insects. They can be cross pollenated by insects. Now if you pull every
flower or bud off that plant before it opens then you will never have any
fruit on that plant because that bud/flower becomes the fruit.
oups.com...