Old 30-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Dominic-Luc Webb

Default soil pH

OK, so as to further pursue the pH matter....

cheap electronic pH meters are usually not very reliable, and
+/- 0.1 units precision would be desired. I think going the
electronic meter route will run you 100 USD plus pH standards.

On the other hand, there are some narrow range pH papers that
I would think should work, but have no knowledge of people using,
owing mainly to my lack of gardening experience. This is not
same as litmus paper. Anyone know about the use of these?

What about specific flower petals? Some of these should work
well.... I think?

Also, I am curious about documentation on hot to properly measure
soil pH. I have run tap water over a pot of soil until it
leaks out the bottom, and then measured pH in the flow-through.
I reckoned maybe this is the water that is actually available to
the roots. This is convenient to use with standard lab pH meter,
but I could guess that botanists have some formal protocols they
follow. Any ideas?

Dominic-Luc Webb

Old 30-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Katra

In article ,
Dominic-Luc Webb wrote:

[...]

Plant Hydrangea? ;-)

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1067.htm
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 31-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Dan Wenz

Katra wrote:

Plant Hydrangea? ;-)

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1067.htm

I'll pass that suggestion on to the wife, who will break my legs if I
transplant any of her H's., although the Clemson site does have info on
changing soil pH, and a nice chart to use for reduction of pH in pounds
per square feet in a loamy soil (HAH!) in their Fact Sheet 1650, thanks.
Old 31-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Katra

In article ,
Dan Wenz wrote:

Katra wrote:

Plant Hydrangea? ;-)

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1067.htm

I'll pass that suggestion on to the wife, who will break my legs if I
transplant any of her H's., although the Clemson site does have info on
changing soil pH, and a nice chart to use for reduction of pH in pounds
per square feet in a loamy soil (HAH!) in their Fact Sheet 1650, thanks.

Welcome! :-)

Cheers!

Old 12-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Allan Matthews

On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:09:44 +0200, Dominic-Luc Webb
wrote:

[...]

Its called PHion paper and high schools use it in chem class a
lot...available on ebay and very accurate and easy to use.