GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hazelnuts in the South (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/95895-hazelnuts-south.html)

Maryc 14-06-2005 08:14 PM

Hazelnuts in the South

Hi!! I live in Arkansas where the weather is pretty hot in the summer.
We also have a high content of clay in our soil and we have a high water table. From what I have read these conditions are hard on growing Hazelnut bushes.
Does anyone in here grown Hazelnuts in the south?? I need advice on how I can grow them here. I have planted them and they just up and died. This year I planted 5 of them and only 2 sprouted. Any ideas??

Rogerx 15-06-2005 02:46 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:14:13 +0000, Maryc
wrote:

Hi!! I live in Arkansas where the weather is pretty hot in the summer.
We also have a high content of clay in our soil and we have a high
water table. From what I have read these conditions are hard on growing
Hazelnut bushes.
Does anyone in here grown Hazelnuts in the south?? I need advice on how
I can grow them here. I have planted them and they just up and died.
This year I planted 5 of them and only 2 sprouted. Any ideas??

Hi Maryc! Yes, hazelnuts will grow great in Arkansas, or at least in
Johnson County, AR.

As a young boy I living in rural AR, I walked to catch the school bus
and there was a fence that ran beside the road. There were dozens of
hazelnut bushes along one stretch, I remember what a treat it was in
the fall, when the shuck of the hazelnut would turn brown and open.

I don't know where they came from, if they were native, or someone
planted them there, I do not recall anyone bringing up the subject.

I don't know about hazelnuts but many seeds require a cold period
before they will sprout. Try putting some in the freezer for about a
month, then try sprouting them

Sorry I could not be of more help- -Rogerx

Maryc 15-06-2005 11:57 AM

Thanks so much for the information. It gives me hope. I did find a supplier online for them. It is a Hazelnut research company. I'm going to order more fot this spring. They sell the plants already sprouted. they call them tublings. The ones I planted before were in dormant stage and they never came out of it.
Thanks again!! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerx

zxcvbob 15-06-2005 10:16 PM

Maryc wrote:
-

[...]

Where I grew up in East Texas, there were a few small wild nut trees;
I'm not sure if they were small hazelnuts or a type of chestnut -- I
think they were called chinquapins.

Bob

Rogerx 16-06-2005 12:02 AM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:16:11 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Maryc wrote:
-

[...]

Hi Bob, Your are right about the chinquapins, they were North American
Chestnuts. Unlike the hazelnut, their shuck had spines. During the
time period I was talking about (60+) years ago, Chinquapins thrived
in Arkansas too, however, a disease killed all of the known trees in
this part of Arkansas and I understand it also destroyed most of the
trees in the south and southwest.

Have a good day, Rogerx

[email protected] 20-06-2005 10:20 PM

.
hi Mary C. I wish you well with the growing of your Hazelnuts.
cheers joyce.

Maryc 21-06-2005 09:50 PM

Thanks Joyce!!

I have two of them that are growing. I am going to order more for this next spring brom Baggersett. They are the ones that do the research on Hazelnuts and Chestnuts. I think I may have more luck with their plants so I'm going to try.