GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Scape-snipping time! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/96153-scape-snipping-time.html)

Gary Woods 19-06-2005 08:23 PM

Scape-snipping time!

Finally, a semi-nice day (at least it's not raining) and warmish (above 50)
temps. So I'm happily snipping the scapes off a number of garlic varieties;
the rest will be ready in a week or so. And I'll only hang around people
who like garlic for a while!
For any compulsive types who are following along, my online spreadsheet, in
the .sig below, has been updated.

Yours in bad breath,

Steve Calvin 19-06-2005 08:49 PM

Gary Woods wrote:

Finally, a semi-nice day (at least it's not raining) and warmish (above 50)
temps. So I'm happily snipping the scapes off a number of garlic varieties;
the rest will be ready in a week or so. And I'll only hang around people
who like garlic for a while!
For any compulsive types who are following along, my online spreadsheet, in
the .sig below, has been updated.

Yours in bad breath,

Cut my scapes about 2 weeks ago. Strange that I'm that much ahead of you
just being about 1 1/2 south of ya.

Used the scapes in salads, made some garlic mashed potatoes, etc. Gonna
be a good crop this year judging from the taste of the scapes. :-)

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?

James 20-06-2005 02:22 AM

Harvested my elephant garlic today. It's a bit late and some already
started splitting. Those I allowed to flower are about 2/3 the size of
scape removed ones. I was waiting for the leaves to turn before
harvest but I guess with elephant garlic I should harvest as soon as
the bottom leave turn yellow.