GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Preying (praying?) mantis eggs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/96758-preying-praying-mantis-eggs.html)

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com 01-07-2005 03:55 PM

Preying (praying?) mantis eggs

Anyone here ever purchase a preying mantis egg case for the garden?

I called futuregarden.com, and spoke to 2 different clueless teenagers
who not only couldn't answer any questions about hatching
environment, but couldn't even tell me what the shipping charge would
be!

M.Paul 01-07-2005 04:18 PM

I think I paid $7 for 2 egg nests a couple of months ago from a home
improvement center.
I put them in 2 different areas of the yard in the branches of large plants
about 1 ft off the ground.
They little buggers are now about 1.5 inches long and very active. I run
into many of them while weeding.
The nests weigh practically nothing so I can't imaging the shipping charge
would be much.
It's getting a little late in the season for them however.

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com 02-07-2005 12:15 AM

It's getting a little late in the season for them however.

That's what I was wondering. I think I'll wait until next year.

The high shipping is because they have to ship Next Day, because
they're considered perishable.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 02-07-2005 08:23 AM

In article ,
" wrote:

It's getting a little late in the season for them however.

That's what I was wondering. I think I'll wait until next year.

The high shipping is because they have to ship Next Day, because
they're considered perishable.

Especially during this current weather. ;-)

I bought one last spring so my population of them is up now.

I like them!

Do look around tho', they are highly available from many gardening
sites. Google is your friend!

I need to get more lacewing eggs to control scale and mealy bug, and I
may also consider getting some baby ladybugs for the greenhouses.

Can one get ladybug larvae or only the adult beetles?

I'll have to follow my own advice and google...... G
--
Om.