Old 12-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Rita Foust

Default Charentais Melons Splitting Open

Hi,
Only my second time to grow Melons once in Garland, TX in black clay. Now
we have them in E.Texas, zone 8 in a sandy soil with red clay underneath.
Lots of Iron, very little N, plus it's acidic; Piney woods, you know. I dug
huge 4ft holes and added lime, manure, N, P and K, egg shells, water
crystals a few, LOTS of stuff. They have done great and vines are covering
all four of the five foot ladders, BUT...
We made beautiful Cedar Ladders to grow the Melons on, have several kinds.
Tried Charentais as it is supposed to be super sweet luxury type Melon. My
Dad says the Melons are splitting open before they ripen. He took one off
the vine after it split and said it was not sweet. Also he said the stem
was still green and not dried up. He asked me how to tell if melons are
ripe, I told him to use the pressure on the blossom end test. I think he is
getting confused about the vines getting brown and hard with the squash.
Should the vine get brown before you pick it? How do you tell when the
melons are ripe. Dad mainly takes care of the 1500 sq ft garden as I can't
go down every weekend any more, so I have to give him instructions.
Why are the melons splitting?

Thanks
Rita

Old 12-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Rita Foust said:

Tried Charentais as it is supposed to be super sweet luxury type Melon. My
Dad says the Melons are splitting open before they ripen. He took one off
the vine after it split and said it was not sweet. Also he said the stem
was still green and not dried up.

The usual cause for melons splitting when they are nearly ripe is a heavy
rain. Follow that on with bright, hot sun and the melons are prone to
split.

He asked me how to tell if melons are
ripe, I told him to use the pressure on the blossom end test. I think he is
getting confused about the vines getting brown and hard with the squash.
Should the vine get brown before you pick it?

It's winter squash that you don't pick until the vine is nearly dead. For
musk melons, you look for color, smell, a little give at the blossom end.
Some types you wait for them to slip right off the vine. Charentais, though,
are usually picked just before they slip. (Had one from the store recently
and it was very good.)

How do you tell when the
melons are ripe. Dad mainly takes care of the 1500 sq ft garden as I can't
go down every weekend any more, so I have to give him instructions.
Why are the melons splitting?

Cut back on any supplemental water as the melons get near to ripening,
and hope that you don't get too much rain.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 12-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Dwayne

Heavy rain, or watering them too long. When they are ripening, dont water
as long, if any, and they should do well. All melons are that way.

Dwayne

Old 13-07-2005, 01:13 AM
GarlandGrower

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Heavy rain, or watering them too long. When they are ripening, dont water
as long, if any, and they should do well. All melons are that way.

I'm not sure if I'm responding with proper Newsgroup etiquette as I have not
done this in a while. Don't know if I should delete the prev thread.
Anyway, thanks for the answers.
MY concern about not watering as much is that there is a drought going on
here and they are "under" by at least 10" of rainfall in E.Texas. How often
should we water the melons? It is sandy soil and the water just goes right
through. I think Dad is watering about every day or every other day now.
The one post said NO supplemental watering as the melons are ripening, but
there are still small ones on the vines and I think it would be impossible
to depend on rainfall alone this time of year considering the drought. This
is Texas in the Summer : )
Rita
Zone 7a-8b

Dwayne

Old 13-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Dwayne

Keep an eye on them. If they look like they are going to wilt, get some
water on them. Once they wilt, they wont come back.

I use a soaker hose on all my garden. I turn it on and then stick my finger
in the dirt to see how far down the ground is wet. I leave it on then,
every other day long enough to get the water 2 or 3 inches down.

Melons have a tap root that goes down to get water. If you bought your
plants already started, the tap root may be all twisted up in the container
and not do what it is supposed to do. If so, you will have to water more
often. I cant prove this statement, but experience has shown me that melons
that you grow after putting the seeds directly into the garden, seem to do
better than the ones I've started in the house and then not plant them in
the garden right away.

Then comes the real challenge, trying to tell when they are ripe. Good
luck.

Dwayne