Old 18-07-2005, 06:54 PM
James

Default Weeding is a bad idea.

Something cut down my pole beans except for a few that were growing in
dense weeds. After you break you back weeding around beans, rabbits et
al just get fatter.

Old 18-07-2005, 10:59 PM
DigitalVinyl

"James" wrote:

Something cut down my pole beans except for a few that were growing in
dense weeds. After you break you back weeding around beans, rabbits et
al just get fatter.

FUnny, sometimes I wonder if some weeds are good to grow. I've got
some bugs munching down on leafs good, maybe japanese beetles. I've
been looking at the weeds to see if any of them exhibit the damage. If
I found a type the bugs liked I'd let them grow some. I figure the
more targets, the less chance they go for the stuff I really like.
Most of the veggies don't seem to mind a little competition.

I do think it is wise to have trap crops for bugs and grow some things
just for wildlife. I grow extra dill and parsley for buttefly, borage
for bees. I grow onions and garlic hoping they will discourage some
wild animals. They take so long it hardly seems worth it otherwise.
Green onion & garlic seems more gratifying.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 23-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Jim Elbrecht

(Rez) wrote:

-snip-
(Mouseweed must have another name, I can't seem to google up the right
plant by that name.)

How about Mouse-eared Chickweed? (Cerastium vulgatum)
Pictures & description at-
http://wildflowers.jdcc.edu/Caryophyllaceae.html

I've never tasted them- but I will now. And now three 'weeds' will be
added to my salad as I weed. [I love a bit of Lambs Quarters and
Purslane in my salads-- and like a good big bowl of steamed purslane a
couple times a year.]

Jim