Old 06-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Pedro

Default Help with Plants

Hi. My plants are turning brown and yellowish. Can anyone tell me what is
going on?

Thanks,
Pedro

Old 07-08-2005, 06:16 AM
Robert Flory

Give us some more information on the tanks, plants, fish load and water
chemistry.

Do you use fertilizer?
Bob

Old 08-08-2005, 02:20 AM
Pedro

I am using fertilizers(Tropica Grow)...I do not now all the names of the
plants. I have some swords, ludwiga, bacopa, vals, among other.
How often should i use the fertilizers?

Old 10-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Logic316

Pedro wrote:
I am using fertilizers(Tropica Grow)...I do not now all the names of the
plants. I have some swords, ludwiga, bacopa, vals, among other.
How often should i use the fertilizers?

You should generally put 1-3 doses of aquarium plant fertilizer in the
tank per week, depending on the amount of plants you have. But first
make sure you have adequate lighting, as this is a far greater factor in
plant health than fertilizer.

And have you ever used aquarium salt or any antibiotic fish medications
in the water? Those kinds of chemicals can often make freshwater plants
sick.

- Logic316

"...trusting the government with your privacy is like
having a Peeping Tom install your window blinds."
-- John Perry Barlow
Old 11-08-2005, 04:15 AM
Pedro

Im using the fertilizer three times a week.
I will describe my tank as medium planted. My planst seem to have a brownish
algae. I am trying everything i can to save them.
Any suggestion are welcome. What type of light do you suggest?

Old 11-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Logic316

Pedro wrote:
Im using the fertilizer three times a week.
I will describe my tank as medium planted. My planst seem to have a brownish
algae. I am trying everything i can to save them.
Any suggestion are welcome. What type of light do you suggest?

For freshwater plants, using a light that provides a minimum of two
watts per gallon (but no more than 5 watts per gallon) is a good rule of
thumb. Going stronger than that could promote excessive algae growth.
It's best to keep the light on for 12-14 hours a day, but no longer.

As for the brown algae, the way to get rid of it is by reducing the
level of waste nutrients in the water that they are feeding on. Do
20-30% partial water changes every week, be careful not to overfeed the
fish, and keep the gravel as clean as you can. You also need to make
sure you don't have too many fish in your tank, as they may excrete a
lot of waste into the water that the algae could be feeding on. There
are also water treatments that inhibit algae growth by reducing the
levels of nitrates and other unwanted substances in the tank; one such
product is called Algon which you can buy at http://www.algone.com
It also helps a little to have a few algae-eating shrimp living in the
tank. Amano shrimp are great at eating algae, ghost shrimp are OK too
and are fun to watch. Snails also like to eat algae, but be careful what
kind you get as many varieties will also devour your plants - the best
types of snails that wont eat your plants include the Olive Nerite snail
and the Japanese Trap Door snail (aka Periwinkle snail).

- Logic316

"The Founding Fathers knew a government can't control the economy
without controlling people. And they knew when a government sets out to
do that, it must use force and coercion to achieve its purpose."
-- Ronald Reagan

Colorful Tropical Foliage Plants – Croton Plants And Caladium Plants BobWalsh Gardening 2 04-10-2011 12:31 PM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
Plants, Plants, Plants! Ali Khan Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Plants, Plants, Plants Ali Khan Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:10 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM