Old 20-08-2005, 08:03 PM
dc

Default CurrentUSA Satellite Light Cooling Fan Noise

I recently purchased a Dual Satellite power compact fluorescent light by
CurrentUSA. I'm very happy with the light output, but I am rather
disappointed with the amount of noise the cooling fan generates. Does
anyone know if it is possible to replace the fan with a quieter one, and
where one could obtain such a replacement? The fan housing is
approximately 2" in diameter and has a simple and accessible four screw
mounting.

Old 21-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Logic316

dc wrote:
I recently purchased a Dual Satellite power compact fluorescent light by
CurrentUSA. I'm very happy with the light output, but I am rather
disappointed with the amount of noise the cooling fan generates. Does
anyone know if it is possible to replace the fan with a quieter one, and
where one could obtain such a replacement? The fan housing is
approximately 2" in diameter and has a simple and accessible four screw
mounting.

You could consider using a computer fan - they're quiet and they make
them in that size. Radio Shack and CompUSA sells them, as well as most
other computer/electronics stores. However, they're rated at 12 volts
and I don't know what voltage your light fan operates on. The electrical
specs are probably listed on the back of your fan, but if not, then
you'll need to check it with a multitester to know for sure (be careful
not to get shocked when you open up the case). If it is 12v, then try to
buy a fan that draws the same amps, and thus provides the necessary
amount of air flow - you don't want to get one that's too weak. If the
amps aren't listed on the old fan, then buying the fan with the most
amps would be the best bet.

- Logic316

"I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't
do it in the streets and frighten the horses."
-- Victor Hugo
Old 21-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Dr.

"dc" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Dual Satellite power compact fluorescent light by
CurrentUSA. I'm very happy with the light output, but I am rather
disappointed with the amount of noise the cooling fan generates. Does
anyone know if it is possible to replace the fan with a quieter one, and
where one could obtain such a replacement? The fan housing is
approximately 2" in diameter and has a simple and accessible four screw
mounting.

I have the same fixtures. A 48" on one tank, and a 20" on another. Neither
have fans.

Gary