GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bacterial Bloom and Anacharis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/148427-bacterial-bloom-anacharis.html)

[email protected] 05-08-2006 09:59 PM

Bacterial Bloom and Anacharis

Hello, in a 20g tank witha nasty bacterial bloom, I'd like to get
some anacharis in there. I like live plants, and I don't
have a very bright lighting system. The problem is, currently
the lights are on for about 2 or 3 hours, due to the bacterial bloom.
So, I wanted to know how kcuh higher I would need to knock up the time
the lights are so the anacharis will live. I however do not want the
anacharis turing into a weed, as I have heard they can with too much
lighting. Thanks in advance for help.
Pat Matson

Nikki Casali 05-08-2006 11:17 PM

wrote:
Hello, in a 20g tank witha nasty bacterial bloom,

Unless it's cyanobacteria, I don't believe the light will encourage
non-photosynthetic bacteria to grow. Maybe you mean algae bloom?

I'd like to get
some anacharis in there. I like live plants, and I don't
have a very bright lighting system.

How many watts of lighting have you got there?

The problem is, currently
the lights are on for about 2 or 3 hours, due to the bacterial bloom.
So, I wanted to know how kcuh higher I would need to knock up the time
the lights are so the anacharis will live.

If it's a low lighting, non-CO2 injected tank, you'll need, I reckon, at
least 8-10 hours. Maybe other have grown it in less?

I however do not want the
anacharis turing into a weed, as I have heard they can with too much
lighting. Thanks in advance for help.

I don't believe there's any chance of it turning into a weed, unless
it's given the right conditions. Actually, turning into a "weed" may not
be a bad thing either, if you're NOT trying. It means there's copious
nutrients in the tank water, something you want to get rid of anyway.
It's easier to grab a few plants to chuck out than change buckets full
of water.

Nikki

[email protected] 17-08-2006 06:41 PM

Bacterial Bloom and Anacharis

I've used anacharis in plated tanks and as an 'excess nutrient sponge'
in others. one tank had the lights on whenever I remembered. If there
is any indirect light, it shouldn't take much of the tank light per
day. The biggest difference I have noticed with different lighting
conditions is the awy in which it grows. (low light it grows long with
not much leaf, high light, darker green and bushier leaves)