GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Titration pH Tester? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15722-titration-ph-tester.html)

Jim Miller 20-04-2003 06:08 AM

Titration pH Tester?

Is there a titration style pH test kit available? All the ones I've seen
have you fill a vial with water to a line then put three drops of test fluid
and have you match colors.

A titration style pH tester would have you count the drops to a color change
like the KH tester I have.

tnx
jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies

Jeff Ludwig 20-04-2003 06:08 AM

Titration pH Tester?

Is there a titration style pH test kit available? All the ones I've seen
have you fill a vial with water to a line then put three drops of test

fluid
and have you match colors.

No, one doesn't exist. Remember, pH is the log10 of H+ concentration, so
there isn't a good linear correlation. At pH 6 there are 10 times the H+
of pH7, at pH 5 there are 100 times the H+ concentration at pH7, etc, etc.
If you need pH to better than +/- 0.2 get a PinPoint, I've seen them around
$85US.

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig

Jim Miller 20-04-2003 06:08 AM

Titration pH Tester?

I may just get a PinPoint. I have trouble discerning the color changes even
when being careful about using a white background and flourescent or
sunlight as a source.

tnx
jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
news.com...

Jeff Ludwig 20-04-2003 06:08 AM

Titration pH Tester?

I may just get a PinPoint. I have trouble discerning the color changes

even
when being careful about using a white background and flourescent or
sunlight as a source.

Just some things to keep in mind; maintence is *very* important for pH
probes - they need to be calibrated at least every 6 weeks, kept very clean,
don't allow them to scale and also write down when you last replaced the
probe, they do have a rated lifetime (2 years for a decent one). Just
because it reads to 2 decimals accuracy says nothing about the precision -
I've overneutralized some solutions in the lab because I assumed the
calibration was okay.

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig