GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15815-help-what-kind-algae-who-will-eat.html)

cindy 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it?

It is quickly spreading all over tank
light grey in color
stringy, like hair or thread (but I though hair algae is green?)
has small balls on it (spores?), they are about the size of a period
(font size 12)
strings are long - most 1 cm but some up to an inch or so

I don't know how to post pics but if this isn't descriptive enougth
I'll learn...noticed it last week and has quickly spread to most
plants, driftwood.

Thanks.

Dinky 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it?

Hmm..not sure, but have you read http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html ??

--
------
Billy
om...
:

Liisa Sarakontu 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it?

(cindy) wrote in
om:

It is quickly spreading all over tank
light grey in color
stringy, like hair or thread (but I though hair algae is green?)
has small balls on it (spores?), they are about the size of a period
(font size 12)

Fungus. Most probaby means that you have to clean more and feed less.

Liisa

Acgelok 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it?

It is quickly spreading all over tank
light grey in color
stringy, like hair or thread (but I though hair algae is green?)
has small balls on it (spores?), they are about the size of a period
(font size 12)

Your discription sounds like black brush algae or BBA I had it 2 months ago and
was advised by this forum to get some SAE's siamese algae eaters. I did and
have had no further increase in BBA These SAE's love eating the stuff but only
the new growth I don't know of anything that will eat the old stuff so I'm
afraid you'l have to get rid of it manualy good luck and
regards Art

cindy 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it?

Fungus. Most probaby means that you have to clean more and feed less.

Hmmm. I really don't think this is fungus...at least not any kind
I've ever encountered. What kind of fungus are you thinking it could
be?

TIA,

LeighMo 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it?

Hmmm. I really don't think this is fungus...at least not any kind
I've ever encountered. What kind of fungus are you thinking it could
be?

I agree with Liisa. It sounds like fungus. The kind that grows in aquariums.
g Stringy white stuff, often grows on driftwood.

Is your tank newly set up? IME, fungus is more commonly a problem in new
tanks.

It's not harmful. Some fish may eat it, but it's like a temporary problem. If
your tank is new, just wait, and it will likely go away on its own.

Leigh

Dave 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it?

In ,
(Acgelok) empowered us with this mighty blow against the Patriarchy:

It is quickly spreading all over tank
light grey in color
stringy, like hair or thread (but I though hair algae is green?)
has small balls on it (spores?), they are about the size of a period
(font size 12)

Your discription sounds like black brush algae or BBA I had it 2
months ago and was advised by this forum to get some SAE's siamese
algae eaters. I did and have had no further increase in BBA These
SAE's love eating the stuff but only the new growth I don't know of
anything that will eat the old stuff so I'm afraid you'l have to get
rid of it manualy good luck and
regards Art

? BBA is not light grey and stringy. It is Black, and Brushy.

Ghazanfar Ghori 20-04-2003 06:10 AM

HELP! What kind of algae is this and who will eat it?

I've got some pictures of algae..see if it looks like any of them..

http://www.aquaticscape.com 75G Algae

om...