GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aponogeton (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15862-aponogeton.html)

Graham Ramsay 20-04-2003 06:11 AM

Aponogeton

Mine is about to flower.
Is it okay to let it?
After flowering will it go into hibernation?

--
Graham Ramsay
Blairgowrie (UK)

Sharon Frey 20-04-2003 06:11 AM

Aponogeton

"Graham Ramsay" wrote in message ...
Mine is about to flower.
Is it okay to let it?
After flowering will it go into hibernation?

Hmmm, apon hibernation? What I know for sure is Apons whether allowed
to flower or not will go through a period of dormancy. I say let it
flower and "dead head" just like you would flowering marigolds,
gazania, coreopsis, zinna, etc in an earth garden. Plucking the
withered (dead heading) flower heads sends a message to the mother
plant to produce more flowers because enough seeds were not yet
produced for proliferation of the species. Yet, no matter what us
humans do Apons will growth spurt, flower, rest (dormancy) and do it
all again if we let them. At least that is what the Apons that call
my aquaria home do.

Hope I helped,

Sharon

Richard J. Sexton 20-04-2003 06:11 AM

Aponogeton

Mine is about to flower.
Is it okay to let it?

Yes.

After flowering will it go into hibernation?

No.

I'm non convinved Aponogetons have a built in dormancy timer; I've
only seeen them go "dormant" when they ran out of nutrients. They're
increadibly heavy feeders and in many cases in people tanks they
just use up the food stored in the corm, then whither up and die.

Given the bulbs are about a quarter, they're almsot disposable plants.

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org

Cesium 20-04-2003 06:11 AM

Aponogeton

My aponogeton flowered and dropped seeds, I don't think it has gone
dormant. Temperature might have something to do with it, it's about 80f.
Anyway, I'm really excited about the seeds, it's so cool to have living
organisms reproduce in artificial conditions.
-Cesium

---

Graham Ramsay 20-04-2003 06:11 AM

Aponogeton

"Cesium" wrote
My aponogeton flowered and dropped seeds, I don't think it has gone
dormant. Temperature might have something to do with it, it's about 80f.

Cool. Did you pollinate it with a cotton bud or any such thing?

--
Graham Ramsay
Blairgowrie (UK)

Robert H 20-04-2003 06:12 AM

Aponogeton

(Richard J. Sexton (At work)) wrote in message ...
Mine is about to flower.
Is it okay to let it?

Yes.

After flowering will it go into hibernation?

No.

I'm non convinved Aponogetons have a built in dormancy timer; I've
only seeen them go "dormant" when they ran out of nutrients. They're
increadibly heavy feeders and in many cases in people tanks they
just use up the food stored in the corm, then whither up and die.

Given the bulbs are about a quarter, they're almsot disposable plants.

Well most plants go dormant in the winter, to protect themselves from
the cold, and regrow in the spring during warmer weather. It would
make sense if there is a trigger, that it is colder water temps and
shorter light periods. It may just be a built in timer so to speak. It
really depends on the apon specie. Some bounce back so quickly if you
have enough light and nutrients that you barely notice the dormancey.
Others are more difficult to bring back, some never seem to go dormant
at all. I have had ulvacues continually grow for years. The plant will
be short lived if you do not feed it and it uses up what is in the
tuber. Most only go dormant for a couple months.

Robert H
www.aquabotanic.com