GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   snail problem in 10G tank (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/15978-snail-problem-10g-tank.html)

Dave 20-04-2003 06:13 AM

snail problem in 10G tank

I set up a small 10G planted tank with wisteria, cabomba, Anubius for my
mother about 4 months ago. All was fine, but know she is overrun with
small black snails. Since the tank is so small and she keeps a betta in it,
I don't think buying a loach would be appropriat action. Is there a
solution that won't kill the plants?

kush 20-04-2003 06:13 AM

snail problem in 10G tank

Are the snails a problem? Nevermind, you wouldn't have asked if they
weren't...

What I would do - and I don't know if your mother will - is just stick my
hand in the tank and crush the snails for the betta to eat. Free food! My
old betta (rip) used to love crushed snails.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Eileen 20-04-2003 06:13 AM

snail problem in 10G tank

In article ,
oSpam (LeighMo) wrote:

Feed less. All those snails are eating something, and its likely either algae
or leftover fishfood.

A 10 gallon is is fairly roomy, though, if the only inhabitant is a betta.
Maybe you could try a few kuhli loaches?

You could try a few ghost shrimp. They eat small snails. I had a 5 gal
infested with hundreds of them and three days after I tossed in 6 ghost
shrimp it was down to 10 that were too big for the shrimp. But they ate
all the babies thereafter and I never had more than the ten.

-Eileen

--
Why do I always think of great sig lines when I'm nowhere near a computer...