GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anubias nana growth rate. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/16319-anubias-nana-growth-rate.html)

redled 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Anubias nana growth rate.

I've got a couple of anubias nana plants currently growing into some
driftwood. These are new, so I haven't had a chance to see how fast they grow
yet. Anyways, does anyone know about how long it might take for a nana to
double in size? I have about 3.2 wpg and DIY CO2 (usually 15-20 ppm, but I'm
working on that). I know it's hard to judge these things, I'm just debating
whether I should go and buy some more plants (I need more!) or if I'm patient
enough to wait for them to grow and propagate. TIA.

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John

Zerex 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Anubias nana growth rate.

they grow pretty slow.....I know before I added CO2, I was getting about 1 new
leaf/month or so with 3 watts/gallon. I just started running the CO2 about a
week ago....so, I cant comment on the CO2 part yet....but they are pearling
nicely :)

--Jim

redled 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Anubias nana growth rate.

In article , tose (LeighMo) wrote:
Anubias are notoriously slow growers. And IME, brighter light and CO2
injection doesn't really make them grow much faster. They are just naturally
slow.

Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and buy more.

I have heard that larger plants grow faster. So you might be better off
leaving the plants as they are, rather than splitting the rhizomes to get more,
but smaller, plants.

Yeah, I read that... I was about to split them (do this with crypts and it
works great for me), then I deceided to read up on it first, so I ended up
leaving them as-is. I meant to, but forgot, to make nicks in the rhizomes to
encourage new growth. I've got them set up on the driftwood now though, so
I'll just leave them alone.

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John

SteveG 20-04-2003 06:20 AM

Anubias nana growth rate.

I'm more inclined to buy new stem plants than slow-growers because
fast-growers have more effect on thier environment. If your reason for
hesitating to buy new plants because of 'economic' reasons, I'd wait for it
to get larger.

I used to have Anubias barteri 'coffeefolia' and it grew about 2 leaves a
month. I split mine every 6 leaves to give to friends and for trading in.