Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
chet

Default Can I turn off lights in the middle of the day?

I am still fighting algae. What I have now is dark reddish brown but not
"powdery" like diatoms. It is definitely more like green algae in texture.
When I trim the plants, the algae looks black once out of the water.

I have a 29 gallon tank with a 55w CF, fluorite substrate, and Nutrafin CO2
kit. Plants include Nana, Amazon Swords, Onion plants, Java Fern, Pond
Penny, Anacharis, and Rotala indica. After two hours of light they all perl
like crazy. There is a shower of small air bubbles floating up to the
surface.

I have been cutting back on the light and am now down to about 10 hours.
Will it count toward a light reduction target if I start turning off the
light in the middle of the day? Will it inhibit growth or damage the plants?

I am hoping that by slowly cutting back on light I can eventually get the
algae under control. On the other hand, I want to see the tank while I am at
home. Any advice?

chet