Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Bob A

Default SAE's, Amano Shrimp, CO2

I think my plants are doing quite well for the most part. I feel they could
do better (bushier). I also am still fighting some type of black algae, but
it doesn't seem to be growing too fast. I have 2wpg in a 55g tank. I am
using DIY CO2 (can't afford better right now, and actually enjoy using the
DIY).

I believe it was Dave P. who suggested warming the DIY mix. I am going to
try that today I hope. I have not been able to get something to warm it
until today.

My questions are these: I too have been thinking about ordering some SAE's
and Amano Shrimp from aquariumfish.net. Probably 5 SAE's and 7 Amanos.
Also an Ancistrus, mostly because my mom really wants a pleco in the tank.
Will the SAE's grow and stop eating algae, and hogging food? Will there be
special problems/things to know about the Amano shrimp? I have read that
they will escape the tank if possible.

The thing I don't understand about CO2 is, I was told by Phyl at TAP that I
wouldn't necessarily even need CO2 at all. But after I put the plants in,
my pH shot up to above 8.0 from a normal 7.0. If I have a "low-moderate"
amount of light, do I need CO2 in the 25ppm range? Or is stability of the
CO2 level more important? I may be able to get a CO2 system in the next
couple of months, and will if I have to.

thanks a lot,

bob