Old 30-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Papa Smurf

Default Lighting for Marineland 5Gal Hex system.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I hope to learn quite a bit before moving on to
a larger tank. I recently purchased a Marineland 5 Gallon Hex tank for my
desk at work and all in all it seems to be an excellent tank for my needs
but it is lacking 1 thing, fluorescent lighting. This tank only comes with
incandescent lighting and it is only a 15W bulb at that. So, my questions
are, is there a proven way to retrofit the tank lid so I can place a small
13W compact Fluorescent bulb into it and what types of plants would be
suitable for a tank of this size? I am currently using a compact
fluorescent bulb of the type you would use in a household lamp and am afraid
that it would not supply enough of the right type of light to support plant
life let alone be safe for extended use in such damp environs. Any
information provided would be greatly appreciated and is eagerly awaited.

Dan

PS

I am posting to both groups as I feel that my questions pertain to both. If
I am mistaken in my belief, then I extend my apologies.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Kcristy

In article , "Papa Smurf"
writes:

I'm new to the forum and I hope to learn quite a bit before moving on to
a larger tank. I recently purchased a Marineland 5 Gallon Hex tank for my
desk at work and all in all it seems to be an excellent tank for my needs
but it is lacking 1 thing, fluorescent lighting. This tank only comes with
incandescent lighting and it is only a 15W bulb at that. So, my questions
are, is there a proven way to retrofit the tank lid so I can place a small
13W compact Fluorescent bulb into it and what types of plants would be
suitable for a tank of this size? I am currently using a compact
fluorescent bulb of the type you would use in a household lamp and am afraid
that it would not supply enough of the right type of light to support plant
life let alone be safe for extended use in such damp environs. Any
information provided would be greatly appreciated and is eagerly awaited.

I have the same tank and I'm working on the same problem. I haven't quite
figured it out, but one surprise I found when I openned the housing to the
light fixture was that it is actually made for 2 bulbs. Those spiral halogen
bulbs fit in the socket if you remove the rubber ring that keeps moisture out.
The problem is that 2 bulbs won't fit in the hood and they would need to be
protected from moisture. I think I will have a piece of glass cut to fit in
the rim of the tank as a cover. I don't know how I will deal with fitting the
lights in this hood or somehow fashion another. Either way it won't be as
pretty as it was originally. Let me know if you have any other ideas!
Cris

Old 02-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Papa Smurf

Cris,

I have been thinking about just taking some silicone sealant and making
my own seal to keep the damp out. I did find the following however that may
eliminate the need for any modification of this tank. It's a mini-compact
fluorescent bulb. Here is the info and link.

MINI COMPACTT
Aquarium Lighting

All-Glass Aquarium has available an efficient 10 Watt Mini CompactT
replacement bulb for the small aquarium. This new bulb features more natural
aquarium lighting and easily screws into many aquarium hoods and
strip-lights. This bulb provides 6500 K light that promotes live aquatic
plant growth for your fresh and sal****er aquariums. Mini Compact Bulbs also
features the equivalent light output of 50 watts of light. Longer 6000 hour
life replaces 6 incandescent bulbs and the Mini Compact uses less energy to
operate. All-Glass Mini Compact aquarium Bulbs are C UL US listed and
operate on 110 - 130 VAC.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/other/default.html

Dan

Old 02-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Kcristy

All-Glass Aquarium has available an efficient 10 Watt Mini CompactT
replacement bulb for the small aquarium. This new bulb features more natural
aquarium lighting and easily screws into many aquarium hoods and
strip-lights. This bulb provides 6500 K light that promotes live aquatic
plant growth for your fresh and sal****er aquariums. Mini Compact Bulbs also
features the equivalent light output of 50 watts of light. Longer 6000 hour
life replaces 6 incandescent bulbs and the Mini Compact uses less energy to
operate. All-Glass Mini Compact aquarium Bulbs are C UL US listed and
operate on 110 - 130 VAC.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/other/default.html

Thanks for the link! I wonder about "the equivalent light output of 50 watts
of light." If that's true isn't it waaay too much - 10wpg?
Cris

Old 02-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Mirror222

I got the AGA Mini-Compact about 2 weeks ago for my 5.5g freshwater FO tank.
Wow is it really bright (at least 2-4X brighter) and runs cool. I nearly
melted the cheap plastic hood once trying to use a incandescent bulb that I
wasn't supposed too. I now have to use a heater once again because the heat
from the Mini-Compact bulb is not enough to keep the water temp up to
acceptable levels. My incandescent light would get the tank up to 84 degrees
by the time it shut off at night.

Also I was at the LFS this week and saw a 50/50 Mini-Compact bulb from
Coralife.
http://www.esuweb.com/new_site/ccc_mini
This is the only place on the web I could find it with a quick google search
(bulk sale site). It was physically on the shelf at the LFS right next to
the AGA one so they do exist.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:56 PM
LeighMo

I wonder about "the equivalent light output of 50 watts
of light." If that's true isn't it waaay too much - 10wpg?

No. The "equivalent wattage" given is for 50 watts of *incandescent* light.
The wpg numbers thrown around here refer to flourescent light. Those mini
bulbs should be counted as 10 watts, not 50.

Leigh

Old 03-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Gene Heitman

I also have a Marineland Hex 5 aquarium on my desk at work and have used the
All-Glass Aquarium Mini Compact since I first set up the aquarium about six
months ago. The Mini Compact screws right in to the socket and seals
against moisture. It has performed flawlessly and has provided more than
sufficient light for my Rotala, Tropical Sunset Hygro and Pygmy Chain
Swords. I have a pair of Dwarf Gouramis and a pair of Cherry Barbs in the
aquarium right now. The light is on for nine hours a day and the
temperature rises about four degrees F during that time.

Gene