Old 30-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Figuring out light wat ...

I'm thinking of installing 4 2' bulbs in my hood over a 37G. I was assuming
that the 2' bulbs are 20W (which is the case with T12 bulbs). That would
give me 2.16 wpg, which apparently is pretty good for a non CO2 tank.
However, I wanna use T8 bulbs which only draw 17W. So if I use the 17W
number to figure out the wpg I would only get 1.83 wpg ... a little low.
Does that mean that I should add a fifth bulb to bring myself up to 2.29 wpg
or do I stick with the four bulbs since T8 bubls are supposed to give the
same amount of light as T12 bulbs but just draw less energy?

Anywhoo, if all of the above is a little confusing ... the question that I
basically have is ...

should I install four or five 2' T8 bulbs over a 37G if I don't inject CO2?

Thanks,
Harry

Old 30-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Rich Conley

No, a T8 bulb gives almost exactly the same light as the same length t12, theyre
just much more efficient.

Old 30-04-2003, 09:32 PM
JEB

Harry Muscle wrote:
I'm thinking of installing 4 2' bulbs in my hood over a 37G. I was assuming
that the 2' bulbs are 20W (which is the case with T12 bulbs). That would
give me 2.16 wpg, which apparently is pretty good for a non CO2 tank.
However, I wanna use T8 bulbs which only draw 17W. So if I use the 17W
number to figure out the wpg I would only get 1.83 wpg ... a little low.
Does that mean that I should add a fifth bulb to bring myself up to 2.29 wpg
or do I stick with the four bulbs since T8 bubls are supposed to give the
same amount of light as T12 bulbs but just draw less energy?

Anywhoo, if all of the above is a little confusing ... the question that I
basically have is ...

should I install four or five 2' T8 bulbs over a 37G if I don't inject CO2?

Thanks,
Harry

Do you already have light strips or fixtures already in your hood?
Have you considered PC fluorescents?
If not, here's some links to check out:

http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/htm/mnu_ahoods.htm
http://www.ahsupply.com/index.html