Old 01-05-2003, 03:33 AM
Donovan Niewoehner

Default Quick Lighting Question

I'm setting up a 30 gallon planted tank, and was wondering what
tempature of lighting would be best. I'm going to be running two 36 watt
compact flourcent lights, I grow plants, but not the really demanding stuff
( I have various swords, java moss/fern, anublius, crypts ). I would like a
lighting situation that would provide good growth for the plants and yet
provide good color for the fish.

Given the choice of 10,000K, 6,700K and 7,100K what combination should I
choose, should I mix the lights or match them?

Thanks for the input
--donovan

Old 01-05-2003, 11:56 AM
LeighMo

It's really a matter of personal taste. Some people like a very cool, "white"
light, others like a warmer tone. It sort of depends on what fish you're
keeping, too; red fish tend to look washed out in very white/blue light. OTOH,
blue fish like neon tetras will really glow.

Given the choice of 10,000K, 6,700K and 7,100K what combination should I
choose, should I mix the lights or match them?

I think most people would choose 6700K. It's a good spectrum for plants, and
pleasing to the eye. If you prefer a super-white looking light, you can go
with the 10,000K, but a lot of people find that's too white, giving everything
a washed-out look. (Personally, I like it. I find the 6700K a little yellow
looking. But I'm definitely in the minority.)

Leigh