GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Discus tank mates? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/22597-discus-tank-mates.html)

Skunky 15-05-2003 11:26 AM

Discus tank mates?

Has anybody kept Colombian red finned tetras in a planted Discus tank. If so, did they make worthy companions?

Jim Brown 16-05-2003 06:32 AM

Discus tank mates?

--
Skunky

Yes, I have kept them together. The Colombian red/gold tetras are very
peaceful and easy to maintain. Not too flighty and live in similar water
conditions. I also found them easier to spawn than the discus, but then the
discus weren't yet fully mature..

Jim

Skunky 16-05-2003 11:25 AM

Thanx for the reply Jim. One other thing, I find the Tetras are very fast, hearty feeders and now have a liking for frozen Discus food, this is not leaving a lot for the Discus. Did you use a particular feeding regime to over come this

Thanx;)

Jim Brown 16-05-2003 03:56 PM

Discus tank mates?

Skunky wrote in message

Thanx for the reply Jim. One other thing, I find the Tetras are very
fast, hearty feeders and now have a liking for frozen Discus food, this
is not leaving a lot for the Discus. Did you use a particular feeding
regime to over come this

Thanx;)
Skunky

Not really. Try feeding some pellet foods first to sort of fill the tetras,
then feed the prime stuff for the discus and to top up the tetras.

Jim

SteveG 18-05-2003 11:56 AM

Discus tank mates?

Since this is a planted tank newsgroup, I would also like to point out that
these tetras have a liking to plants as well. They'll nibble at the soft
parts(new shoots) of the leaves.

"Skunky" wrote in message

Thanx for the reply Jim. One other thing, I find the Tetras are very
fast, hearty feeders and now have a liking for frozen Discus food, this
is not leaving a lot for the Discus. Did you use a particular feeding
regime to over come this

Thanx;)

--
Skunky