Old 10-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Pete in the Colorado Mtns

Default Turbulence and plants

See the thread "CO2 and Surface Agitation Debate", from 2/6/2003. Lots
of info/opinions there.
pete

HDH wrote:
Hi All,
Just set up a new 55 gallon and planning to make it a light- to
moderately-planted tank, without CO2. I currently have an Emperor 400 on it
that is making more noise than it should, and I am going to return it,
either for another one or for a cannister (Eheim 2235). I would prefer not
to spend the money on a cannister, especially since opinions of the Emperor
are almost unanimously good.

My question relates to turbulence. There is *a lot* of it on the surface of
the water with the Emperor, and in my research I've come across some info
regarding turbulence being detrimental to plants (robs them of oxygen?).

How much of a concern should this be for me?

Thanks for any input,
Howard

pete

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."

Old 12-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Ryanw1234

*snip*
To reduce that effect, fill the tank as high as possible. The
additional water will prevent the water from falling as far, thus
reducing the turbulence and the splatter noise.

Just a word of caution some tanks (like mine) will leak towards the
very top where the plastic edge meets the glass I had that happen and
it started a syphon and a little stream of water started running down
the corner of the tank and(it made a mess before I noticed even though
it was quite slow) it wouldnt stop till I broke the syhpon by taking
the water level down past the plastic edge...