Old 20-02-2003, 12:23 AM
SanDiegoFishes

Default Scratches on acrylic tank

Hi everyone,
I just picked up a used acrylic tank that has quite a few scratches on the
outside surface. Is there anything I can use make these scratches less
noticable? Please let me know, thanks!
Fishes
Old 20-02-2003, 01:22 AM
PJSA

http://www.customaquatic.com/customa...D=aq&offset=90
Search for scratch remover in the site.
If you make a search in yahoo by Acrylic Aquarium Scratch Remover you will
find several results!!

By the way, whatīs the size of your aquarium and what was the price, if itīs
not inconviniance.
Thx!

"SanDiegoFishes" escreveu na mensagem

Old 20-02-2003, 01:54 AM
Nsty N8

Hi everyone,
I just picked up a used acrylic tank that has quite a few scratches on the
outside surface. Is there anything I can use make these scratches less
noticable? Please let me know, thanks!
Fishes

Buff the scratches with a handkerchief and some silicone GREASE (not silicone
adhesive).

Old 20-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Christopher

your best bet is to get an acryllic scratch removal kit, mine was about $15,
basically its a set of varrying grit high quality pads that you use to sand
the surface, up to 15,000 grit/in^2 I believe, then as a final step you use
their polish, who knows how high that grit # is and after only 45 minutes of
boring labor the scratch is gone, as beautiful and light as they
are....acryllic tanks are so damned easy to scratch :-(

Old 27-02-2003, 12:21 AM
Phil Dietz

Fixed the gouges in my 2.5G mini-bow last weekend. Pretty simple.

I couldnt find "aquarium scratch kits" so came plan B -- very fine
sandpaper 1500 grit and above.

None of my local auto-parts stores, home stores, or woodworking stores
had sandpaper 1500 or higher....then I tried Wal-Mart. Funny. They
had both 1500 and 2000 grit papers in the auto section. 2.95 a pack a
piece.

Besides paper, a rubbing compound is also needed for the last stage.
Walmart had some 3M for $6...but then I remembered I had some McGuires
ScratchX for my car at home. So I didnt buy any.

One vertical gouge was 6 inches long and a fourth inch wide. Rubbed
right out. 1500 perpendicular to the scratch....then 2000
perpendicular to that.

Since these scratches were on the inside -- and I had no place for my
fish -- I had to fix the scratches in place. Not sure if sand from
sandpaper would damage the fish, so instead of wet sanding, I drained
the tank down to a half inch below the scratch and dry sanded it.
Then I used the wax/polish. This did wonders. Seriously I think
liquid compounds may be all you'll need. Took 4 applications of the
stuff. One glass shop recommended I try toothpaste. Maybe that'd
work.

Was tricky not getting the wax or rubbed-particles in the water, but I
managed. I washed it really good before filling the tank back up.
Who knows what chemical additives were in ScratchX but the fish seem
fine after a week...

And to think I had my cat declawed. I thought the scratches were on
the outside.