Old 16-06-2003, 07:44 PM
SlimFlem

Default can someone help me identify this algea growing on my florite?

Hi.

I have a small area of my florite where this algea is growing.

http://idoneous.net/images/75_tank/algea.jpg

i have no other algea problems to speak of at all. My large Angelfish do
eat the stuff. I have never seen the Ottos, Whiptail, or Farowellas eating
it. How can I get rid of it? I'm sure I can just scoop it out too. Would
a particular water condition cause this to grow? What else do you need to
know?

PH = 6.9
KH = 2
Nitrate = ~10ppm
Nitite = 0
Ammonia = 0

thanks.

Old 17-06-2003, 01:08 AM

"SlimFlem" wrote in message news:t9oHa.1128$Fa6.1419@sccrnsc02...
Hi.

I have a small area of my florite where this algea is growing.

http://idoneous.net/images/75_tank/algea.jpg

i have no other algea problems to speak of at all. My large Angelfish do
eat the stuff. I have never seen the Ottos, Whiptail, or Farowellas eating
it. How can I get rid of it? I'm sure I can just scoop it out too. Would
a particular water condition cause this to grow? What else do you need to
know?

PH = 6.9
KH = 2
Nitrate = ~10ppm
Nitite = 0
Ammonia = 0

Do you use CO2?(if so, add 3x more).

It's likely a Cladophora.
Some barbs etc will eat it and Amano shrimp also but Angels will alson
eat shimp.....

You can simply rotate the gravel on the top below. This will rob the
algae of light. Take 1-2" off the top and bring the stuff below up to
replace this.

Regards,
Tom Barr

thanks.

Old 17-06-2003, 05:08 AM
SlimFlem

I do use CO2. I have 2 3-liter jugs with DIY CO2.

Why exactly do you say to triple my CO2?

thanks.

" wrote in message
om...

Old 17-06-2003, 02:20 PM

"SlimFlem" wrote in message news:JuwHa.5052$vq.1831@sccrnsc04...
I do use CO2. I have 2 3-liter jugs with DIY CO2.

Why exactly do you say to triple my CO2?

thanks.

Because your CO2 level is only ~7 ppm.
Needs to be 20-30ppm. Add more CO2 till the pH is around 6.3-6.4. Then
you'll have good CO2 levels. You may need a better method of
dissolving the CO2 or simply need more gas. Keep this pH for at least
the time when the lights are on. It'll improve your algae issues and
greatly improve the plant helath..

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 17-06-2003, 02:32 PM
SlimFlem

I could increase the number of CO2 jugs. I get about 3 or 4 small bubbles
per second right now. It's being injected into my Eheim canister intake.
My tank is a 75. I would like a compressed system, but cannot afford to buy
it right now.

" wrote in message
om...

Old 17-06-2003, 05:08 PM
RedForeman

DIY on a tank that size is not gonna give you the output needed to keep up
with your plants...

You may be at the proverbial crossroad, where you can spend the money needed
to provide your tank with the press. CO2, or you can eat.... I'd eat...

Regulators are getting more affordable every day... bottles as small as 10lb
are going for $50 here and there... keep trying to find the parts and
peices, you can scrounge up enough over a few weeks/months to get the whole
system.....

Old 17-06-2003, 05:56 PM
JEB

Sounds like it's time for you to get a decent reactor. I have one jug
of DIY on a 20g going into the Nutrafin bubble ladder and get 15-20ppm
with one bubble every 3 sec. Not even all of it is diffused. I know
we are not quantifying things very well here. Your small bubbles may
be half the size of mine. But its definitely something to think
about.

James