Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Vincent

Default Bubbles

Hi,

In my 2gal tank, i noticed something very strange. I noticed a constant
stream of bubbles rising from the roots of my anubias baterii and another
constant stream from the tips of the leaf of my anubias nana. And the
underside of my baterii has some globules of air stuck on it. Is this what
they call pearling? If it is, I heard that pearling only exist when the
condition of the tank is perfect. But mine is yet to be perfect, fish is
dying, some plants growing sideways and fern is turning brownish. Everything
is going somewhat wrong except for these anubias.

Cheerios
Vincent

Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Sergey Politaev

"Vincent " wrote in message

..... Everything is going somewhat wrong except for these anubias.

Not so bad for the beginning!^)
--
~SP~
If you woke up breathing, congratulations!

Old 18-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Jody

I would say the streams of bubbles may be from tiny nicks in the plant where
internal gas is escaping. Now the globules as you call them under the
leaves may well be legitimate respirated O2. Anubias are not known for real
pearling since they are slow growers. True pearling usually comes from
fast-growing plants in high-light, CO2 enriched environments. I think your
instict serves you well on the "yet to be perfect". I am very familiar with
that concept.

Jody

Old 18-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Ed

On Tue, 20 May 2003 00:51:35 +0800, "Vincent "
wrote:

Hi,

In my 2gal tank, i noticed something very strange. I noticed a constant
stream of bubbles rising from the roots of my anubias baterii and another
constant stream from the tips of the leaf of my anubias nana. And the
underside of my baterii has some globules of air stuck on it. Is this what
they call pearling? If it is, I heard that pearling only exist when the
condition of the tank is perfect. But mine is yet to be perfect, fish is
dying, some plants growing sideways and fern is turning brownish. Everything
is going somewhat wrong except for these anubias.

Cheerios
Vincent

Sergi responded:
Not so bad for the beginning!^)

LOL!!! That was funny! I remember when I started in this "Obsession'
er I mean hobby....

Then Jody responded:
Anubias are not known for real pearling since they are slow growers.

Quite the contrary in my tanks. In my 25 for example. Everything is
almost perfectly tweaked in that tank. And my Anubias pearl quite a
bit on any given day. But my Anubias also pearl in my 10gal low light
tank too.... just not quite as much.

Jody is correct in stating that any damaged portions of a plant will
release gases. But my experience with roots (close to the rhizome)
pearling on Anubias is that another (new) shoot is forming that will
soon have leaves on it. But a damaged root will also let gases
escape.

It is entirely possible that your Anubias could be doing really well,
growing, pearling and flowering and your other plants at the same time
could be suffering any number of ailments.

Finally, Anubias leaves are perfectly shaped to catch bubbles drifting
by. Indeed in all of my tanks I think they provide a lot of CO2
reaction from the CO2 bubbles that are trapped under Anubias leaves.
Just a theory.....

HTH.

Regards,

Ed