Old 18-07-2003, 10:14 AM
SlimFlem

Default proper testing for FE

I just want to make sure I understand Iron in the planted tank corretly.
When testing for FE, I should be testing for chelated iron, correct? The
non-chelated form of iron is not as easily used by plants, correct? I have
the Hagen FE test kit that has the liquid and the powder. The powder is
used with the drops when testing for chelated iron. Every since I've had
this tank, I never get a reading for iron. I started PMDD 3 days ago, so I
hope this will bring my iron levels up to .1 ppm. I had been using
SeaChem's Iron supplement before. I also have 100% Florite for a substrate.

Are there any other test kits for iron that might be better than the Hagen
one?

thanks.

Old 18-07-2003, 10:14 AM

"SlimFlem" wrote in message news:pMqya.653616$OV.615899@rwcrnsc54...
I just want to make sure I understand Iron in the planted tank corretly.
When testing for FE, I should be testing for chelated iron, correct? The
non-chelated form of iron is not as easily used by plants, correct? I have
the Hagen FE test kit that has the liquid and the powder. The powder is
used with the drops when testing for chelated iron. Every since I've had
this tank, I never get a reading for iron. I started PMDD 3 days ago, so I
hope this will bring my iron levels up to .1 ppm. I had been using
SeaChem's Iron supplement before. I also have 100% Florite for a substrate.

Are there any other test kits for iron that might be better than the Hagen
one?

No, but this will help you get a better handle on iron in a planted
aquarium. I have not found a test kit that works well. My advice is to
stop worrying or attempting to maintain some residual level.

This is likely more than you wanted to know but I don;t think you'll
find this path of testing and trying to maintain 0.1ppm of Fe very
fruitful.
This residual concept was arbitrarily set at 0.1ppm for a low
light(less than 2w/gal of NO FL lighting) moderately low CO2(10-15ppm)
tank and limited PO4.

But why would try and limit two things? If PO4 is limiting algae
growth, then why would one limit the algae with Fe as well?

How is it that I have 1.0ppm of PO4 and add it 3x a week and also add
5mls every 2-3 days of Flourish, or TMG etc to a 20 gallon tank with
no algae? I can double each of these levels without algae also. Adding
more did not increase plant growth more but it did not hurt either.
When it stops improving the growth and health, then you back off and
have found the optimal amount.

More on it:

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...2&m=8546016682

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 18-07-2003, 10:14 AM
SlimFlem

LeighMo, if you are reading this thread, how do you go about monitoring Iron
levels, if at all? I was essentially quoting The Krib when I was mentioning
the .1ppm of Iron when using PMDD. This came from their PMDD dosing page.

When it stops improving the growth and health, then you back off and
have found the optimal amount.

Tom, so, do you just watch your plants and add enough iron to prevent
yellow-ing of the leaves? What is your measuring factor to
determine when plant growth and health stops improving?

This residual concept was arbitrarily set at 0.1ppm for a low
light(less than 2w/gal of NO FL lighting) moderately low CO2(10-15ppm)
tank and limited PO4.

well, this is for sure not the case in my tank. I have about 3.5w/gal,
plenty of phosphate, and do inject CO2. However my CO2 levels are still
coming up since I just started my CO2 just under a week ago.

" wrote in message
m...
"SlimFlem" wrote in message

[...]

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...12&f=915602079