Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
RifRaf

Default Lighting level for new tank and CO2 diffuser question/poll

I'm getting ready to *move up* to a new 10g and have a couple
questions. And no......I can't make that new tank a 20g, as much as
I'd like to.

First, I can't quite seem to get a good feel for a lighting
level....been looking everywhere. My gut tells me that 36W should be
good BUT I'm tempted/wondering if I should put in more (hood can hold
1x36W, 2x36W or 1x36 PLUS another 1x13W.

Would this extra lighting do more harm than good? (create more green
water/algae problems....I know, I know....make the plants healthy)
When a plant says it requires HIGH levels of light, would 36W/49W/72W
be considered adequate for these types of plants in this tank? In the
5g, I just have have java moss, java fern, and Nana....all of which is
growing insanely....but I still continue to battle spot algae and
green water.
I recently found that NO2 levels were 0. Bought some stump killer and
dosed accordingly. Turned water green. Stopped using until new tank
is setup.

One problem I've had with stem plants is that the leaves from about
halfway down die off and I only get new growth near the top of the
stem. I assummed this was due to innadequate lighting. This was in
my 5g with 13W CF.

As for CO2....I've been running DIY in the 5g but I'm tired of the
process of making new batches and such. So, I'm going to setup a
pressurized system.

The question/poll is: What is everyone doing for diffusers?

There's been plenty of talk about how to MAKE the CO2 but not much
about how to diffuse it. I've been just running it into the intake of
my power filter. I'm just curious as to what method others are using.

Chris