Old 25-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Jamieanne

Default How to plant banana lilies

I've just bought today what was labeled as "banana lilies". No one I asked
was sure how I plant the lilies - bananas pointing down or up!? When I try
to find info online, I can't find the same banana lily that I have. I only
find the all green banana lilies; mine have some reddish tinged "bananas"
and the leaves are edged in a pretty burgundy color. Here are a couple
photos:

http://www.allmyfish.net/images/banana_lily1.jpg
http://www.allmyfish.net/images/banana_lily2.jpg

Now, would anyone be able to tell me how I plant these? Or are they like
the all-green banana lily, and I don't plant them at all? Thanks for your
info!

-Jamieanne
http://www.allmyfish.net

Old 28-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Kelly

Plant it with the banana's pointing down, but not in the gravel, the tips
dig in, but most of the shape should be out of the substrate, Mine grows in
stages, the first set-up it sprouted 3 huge stalks that brought the leaves
to the top of the tank, and now its died back to very tiny leaves and hardly
any "bananas" Nice plant though, good luck

Old 20-08-2003, 07:02 AM
James M K

Scientific name: Nymphoides Aquatica.

Common name: Banana plant.

This unusual little plant gets its name from banana-shaped root sections
that are used by the plant to store nutrients. These should be left above
the the substrate; the plant also produces "normal" root that will bury
themselves. The heart-shaped leaves on short stalks are 4-4.7 in (10-12 cm)
long. I shallow areas, the leaves will reach the surface and grow to 6 in
(15 cm). The plant is relatively easy to care for but may have limited life
span in the aquarium.

Maximum height: 6-8 in (15-20 cm)

Grouth rate: Slow to Medium

Area: Midground, Foreground, Floating