Old 06-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Frank Mamone

Default Filter Intakes and leaves

I notice a lot of leaves get into the filter intakes. Do you put anythingb
on the intake to avoid this or just let them go in and clean often?

Thanks,

Frank

Old 06-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Paulio629

I use an AquaClear sponge over them. Cut a slit in it and slide it on.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:34 PM
LeighMo

I notice a lot of leaves get into the filter intakes. Do you put anythingb
on the intake to avoid this or just let them go in and clean often?

Put filter foam or a clean nylon stocking over the intake. Not only does this
allow you to go longer between cleaning and/or changing the filter media, it
keeps small fish, snails, shrimp, etc., from being sucked into the filter.

The Aquaclear foam inserts are a good choice. (Don't just use any sponge.
Filter foam is designed to have water pass through it, normal foam/sponge
isn't.) A lot of other companies sell foam prefilters that can be used with a
variety of filters, too. I use cylindrical black foam prefilters from
petsolutions.com.

Leigh

Old 08-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Frank Mamone

I think I'll try the nylon way. I think the foam will be more unattractive.
Also, when you remove the foam for clean it doesn't the gunk get into the
water?

Old 08-03-2003, 11:50 PM
LeighMo

I think I'll try the nylon way. I think the foam will be more unattractive.

If you buy foam prefilters, they are fairly small and black, so they aren't
that noticeable.

Also, when you remove the foam for clean it doesn't the gunk get into the
water?

Some does, but it settles quickly. I just rinse them out in the sink, then put
them back in.

Another option would be do remove the foam while you're doing a water change.
You can just vacuum out any gunk that's stirred up.

Leigh

Old 10-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Christopher

the trick is to get leaves your fish won't tear apart, that way you get very
few leaves stuck to the intake, try anubias those hardly ever lose leaves

news

Old 10-03-2003, 09:32 PM
LeighMo

Can you point me to a brand or pre-filter foam you're using?

I buy mine from PetSolutions.com:

http://www.petsolutions.com/cgi-bin/...019.700000&l=1

They also sell replacement sponges. The replacement sponges fit over Eheim
intakes without needing the plastic adaptor, so you can buy just the
replacement sponge if you have an Eheim or similar size filter intake.

Leigh