GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Light Timers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/40428-light-timers.html)

E.W. Marshall 14-08-2003 08:23 PM

Light Timers

Can anyone recommend a good, but not pricey, light timer that I can
use? My two "Radio Shack" have quit working, and I'm having trouble
finding a more reliable replacement. I prefer the electronic ones with
battery powered memory. Thanks!

Dave Millman 14-08-2003 10:13 PM

Light Timers

E.W. Marshall wrote in :

Can anyone recommend a good, but not pricey, light timer that I can
use? My two "Radio Shack" have quit working, and I'm having trouble
finding a more reliable replacement. I prefer the electronic ones with
battery powered memory. Thanks!

Cheap, digital, and reliable: pick any two.

If you want cheap and reliable, go with the rotary style with little red
and green pegs. They last forever.

If you want digital and reliable, increase your budget.

If you want cheap and digital, scratch reliable. But you knew that already,
that's why you posted in the first place!

Dinky 15-08-2003 12:40 AM

Light Timers

"Dave Millman" dav.e.at.tac.tics.co.m wrote in message

If you want cheap and reliable, go with the rotary style with little red
and green pegs. They last forever.

Agreed, but two of the 3 I own have trouble turning off the lights. The
halide over the 45 turns off....10 seconds....comes back on......flickers
for a sec.....1 minute...then shuts off for good. Irritating.

ddaquaria 15-08-2003 05:06 AM

Light Timers

in article , E.W. Marshall at E.W.
Marshall wrote on 8/14/03 2:16 PM:

Can anyone recommend a good, but not pricey, light timer that I can
use? My two "Radio Shack" have quit working, and I'm having trouble
finding a more reliable replacement. I prefer the electronic ones with
battery powered memory. Thanks!

Home depot carries a digital timer for about $20. Has battery backup and 7
day settings.

They work well. I have 1 per tank operating mh's.

big D
--
Remove the word ³REMOVE² to reply to me.

Check out my fish site @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/ddaquaria/

Or just a whole lot of macro and other aquarium pictures @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/

Poe Lim 15-08-2003 01:12 PM

Light Timers

Just get a manual timer (the ones I use have sliders at 15 minute
increments, so you can have up to four transitions per hour); simple, cheap,
and no worries about power failure as you still get the normal number of
hour light.

Cheers,
Poe

E.W. Marshall 15-08-2003 11:32 PM

Light Timers

Thanks for the replies. They are (well some are) exactly what I was
hoping for. I'm off to Home Depot.

Gimpy 21-08-2003 04:32 AM

Light Timers

Yeah, I picked one up from Home Depot for $15 Canadian.. it's got a ground
on it which is good for bigger lighting fixtures..

Mike