Old 28-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Jaco van Niekerk

Default Plants

Hi

I regard myself as very new to to keeping fish. I enjoy it very much and
have read up a lot about the various species and tank setups I monitor the
water closely. Nitrite is somewhat high - but not dangerous. I fancy real
plants, but have been rather unsucessful with them. I am reading a lot
about these C02 defuser equipment, but I have never seen one in my life and
have no idea how it really works and how it works. My questions:

1. Isn't the CO2 dangerous for the fish?
2. Does it really make a big difference? Isn't their an alternative?
3 What is the cost of these things?
4 How does it look?
5 Which do you recommend.

Newbie signing off ;-)

Regards
Sparky

Old 29-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Arild Madsen

Jaco van Niekerk wrote:
Hi

I regard myself as very new to to keeping fish. I enjoy it very much and
have read up a lot about the various species and tank setups I monitor the
water closely. Nitrite is somewhat high - but not dangerous. I fancy real
plants, but have been rather unsucessful with them. I am reading a lot
about these C02 defuser equipment, but I have never seen one in my life and
have no idea how it really works and how it works. My questions:

1. Isn't the CO2 dangerous for the fish?

Yes. If you use to much CO2, it would kill the fish

2. Does it really make a big difference?

Yes

Isn't their an alternative?

Less growth

3 What is the cost of these things?

Depends on what and where you buy.

4 How does it look
5 Which do you recommend.

There are several methods off adding CO2 to aquariums
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/
http://www.belowwater.com/products/carbo-plus/

1. yeast method.
Cheap, but hard to control

2. Gas Cylinder CO2
Expensive to buy, but easy to controll, low maintenace.

3. Electric method (carbo-plus)
Easy to controll, cheaper than number 2, but refils are expensive.

Personaly I would go for number 2, but you might try number 1 first to
see if you like the effect of adding CO2.
I will not recomend the carbo-pluss unless you have a smal tank(to
exoensive)

Arild Madsen