Old 08-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Amit

Default Is my KH to hish for plants ?

Hello All,
I have a 100 gallon planted tank.
Since I was adding to much of a CO2 with a PH of 6.2 and KH about 10
(40-45ppm)
I have decreased the CO2 amount from bubble per second to bubble per 5
seconds.
Water parameters are as follows :
PH 7.2
KH 10
GH 12
That leaves us with a CO2 at about 19ppm - Optimal! based on the Chuck CO2
table.
Ammonia, Nitrite and Chlorine are 0
The CO2 cylinder is a 500 grams so I guess it can suffice for the long run
as I do not use much of it.
I carry out water changes every 14 days about 1/4 of the tank water and the
fish load is also not to big
12 Cardinal Tetra
3 Flying fox
1 Discuss
2 Small guppies and 2 platies
20 Amano Shrimp
If I won't use the CO2, My tap water already comes with PH of 7.2 and KH of
10 - does this eliminated my need for a CO2 system ???
Do plants do better in a KH between 3-8 ?

Thanks

Amit

Old 12-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Dave Millman

Amit wrote:

Hello All,
I have a 100 gallon planted tank.
Since I was adding to much of a CO2 with a PH of 6.2 and KH about 10
(40-45ppm)
I have decreased the CO2 amount from bubble per second to bubble per 5
seconds.
Water parameters are as follows :
PH 7.2
KH 10
GH 12
That leaves us with a CO2 at about 19ppm - Optimal! based on the Chuck CO2
table.

Good job. Try getting the CO2 a bit higher, closer to 25ppm. Maybe 1 bubble per
four seconds?

If I won't use the CO2, My tap water already comes with PH of 7.2 and KH of
10 - does this eliminated my need for a CO2 system ???

No. Water in equilibrium with the atmosphere will have about 3ppm CO2. At a KH
of 10, this means your pH would be 8.0. If it comes out of the tap with pH 7.2,
then it has a higher amount of CO2 already dissolved in it. This is true in
many cities. Try setting tap water out for 24 hours, then measuring the pH.

Do plants do better in a KH between 3-8 ?

And higher. And lower, I've kept many successfully at 2KH. Don't worry about
adjusting KH for your plants.