GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   CO2 vs air (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/47604-co2-vs-air.html)

Acgelok 21-11-2003 02:42 PM

CO2 vs air

Hi y'all, can any-one on this forum tell me witch is heavier D.I.Y. CO2 or
atmospheric air (air we breathe)? It has to do with an air-space at the top of
my D.I.Y. CO2 setup. I dont know if I should vent it or ignore it T.I.A. to any
and all who reply P.S. this is not a trol

With thanks and Regards Art

Dan Drake 21-11-2003 09:22 PM

CO2 vs air

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:37:03 UTC, (Acgelok) wrote:

Hi y'all, can any-one on this forum tell me witch is heavier D.I.Y. CO2 or
atmospheric air (air we breathe)? It has to do with an air-space at the top of
my D.I.Y. CO2 setup. I dont know if I should vent it or ignore it T.I.A. to any
and all who reply P.S. this is not a trol

With thanks and Regards Art

CO2 is heavier than air. If you gently release CO2 into the bottom of a
container of air, the co@ will mostly stay on the bottom. There are caves
in volcanic areas that fill with CO2 and can be deadly, it's said.
However, a disturbance will mix the CO2 into the air. But I'm not sure
what this has to do with the air space in your DIY setup. At a guess, I'd
say the air space will make no difference.

--
Dan Drake

http://www.dandrake.com

Human rights in Cuba: 600 prisoners held 18 months and more,
without charge, without bail, without counsel, facing trial by
secret special tribunals with power to impose the death
penalty. And that's just one place. Guantanamo.

Dave Millman 22-11-2003 12:22 AM

CO2 vs air

(Acgelok) wrote in message ...
Hi y'all, can any-one on this forum tell me witch is heavier D.I.Y. CO2 or
atmospheric air (air we breathe)? It has to do with an air-space at the top of
my D.I.Y. CO2 setup. I dont know if I should vent it or ignore it

Tightly enclosed tanks can accumulate CO2 in the air space, and will
need an air pump with airstone to correct this. These tanks had this
problem:

http://www.svas.info/Newsletter/sam.html

When it was first set up, the tank on the left had fish gasping at the
surface less than half a day after CO2 was turned on.

On the other hand, most tanks with even a little air circulation under
the hood do not need any help. The CO2 diffuses into the atmosphere
pretty quickly.

Acgelok 23-11-2003 04:12 PM

CO2 vs air

Thanks a bunch for the info. every one. I've now extended the pickup tubes in
CO2 generators to within 1" of the fluid level thus hopefully eliminating air
buildup in the difusers Thanks again and
regards Art

Dunter Powries 23-11-2003 09:02 PM

CO2 vs air

Acgelok wrote in message
Thanks a bunch for the info. every one. I've now extended the pickup tubes

in
CO2 generators to within 1" of the fluid level thus hopefully eliminating

air
buildup in the difusers Thanks again and
regards Art

Then hopefully you're not using plastic soda bottles hooked up to
powerheads, because the suction may collapse the bottle just enough for the
tubes to contact the contents of the bottle and... whoops!

Seriously, though, it really doesn't matter how far into the bottle the
tubing extends. After the first half hour or so the yeasties have consumed
all the oxygen and the process has gone anaerobic, subsequent to which the
airspace in the generator consists entirely of yeast farts, i.e. CO2.

kush